Blue jean quilt

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by AAnightowl, Jan 25, 2024.

1. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Very nice, Nightowl! My mom taught me how to cut on the bias for binding, but with most of mine I usually just bring the bottom up over the edge and sew it. To put it nicely that's the easy way, but to be truthful it's my lazy way. Once I'm that far; I just want to get it done and see how it looks finished.

AAnightowl, Daniel W and Pacnorwest like this.
  2. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

That's a beautiful quilt Night Owl! The flannel side is as nice as the denim side!

I make my own bindings too. I'm too cheap and too picky to use a commercial one. On the other hand, a couple of times I found Jelly Rolls on deep sale, and they made nice bindings too.

AAnightowl and Pacnorwest like this.
  3. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

I've found jelly roll pieces in bags at second hand stores. I don't usually buy the bagged up fabric unless there's something that looks really good in it. I haven't thought of using them for binding.

Daniel W and Pacnorwest like this.
  4. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Willow Great story. There’s always a hidden meaning somewhere …

Daniel W likes this.

Advertisement
  5. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

If I wear hats in the garden, they are the "bucket hats". It depends how windy it is, because I cut those chin strings off of them.

6. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

7. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

My friend was able to come and get her quilt and some other things I had saved for her yesterday. She really loves the quilt, so I am glad I did it for her.

I totally forgot to cut the binding on the bias... It looks good anyway.

Daniel W likes this.
  8. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Night Owl, Jelly Rolls are standardized precut strips cut from various fabrics. They are always 2 1/2 inches wide and 48 inches long (I think). They are sold in a mix of colors and rolled up which some people think looks like a jelly roll.

On sale they can be cheap. Bought from the stores and websites they can cost as much as any other fabric. You have to bargain hunt.

The first few quilting projects I made were mostly from jelly roll strips, sewed together then re-cut and rearranged and sewed together again. Pandemic isolation projects, I bought the jelly rolls on line.

Wall hanging or table topper quilts. The first one is a little too busy, and not straight, but it was my first try.

IMG_6363.jpeg

IMG_6362.jpeg

Place mats. The strips were sewn together in groups of three, cut into squares, squares were arranged and sewed together then cut corner to corner in quarters, then rearranged and sewed together.

IMG_6361.jpeg

By the way, I almost never cut binding on the bias. It's too stretchy for me and I mess up too much. I cut with the grain, and miter sew the corners.

9. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

I know she loves it. You were a great friend to make that for her!