Bought some new plants yesterday and need help ...

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Tina, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

I bought 1 Oriental lily, 1 yellow freesia (I think there are at least 3 bulbs in each pot), 1 red freesia, 2 hostas, 1 primula vialli (orchid primrose) and 1 huechera.

My question is can I combine the oriental lily and the freesia bulbs and plant in a container? I have a very large size container which I need to fill. Also, I was planning to plant one of the hosta and the huechera in my backyard where I think the soil isn't very good and under the tree. This is the spot where my beloved viburnum died. Or should I just plant them in pots and place it in the spot since I have to fill that spot. I plan to plant the other hosta in my new front yard shade garden. Will the primrose do well in a container? The tag said it was a perennial primrose.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

2. Loading...

3. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Do you know why the Viburnum died? What do you think is wrong with the soil? I'd want to know these things, before I put more store-bought plants there. Under a tree is usually a great spot for Hostas & Heucheras though.

Plants in pots are much more difficult to tend here because of the heat, though I think of tons of rain when I think of Seattle, so that may not be the same concern.

Oriental lilies bloom for such a short time, I wouldn't consider them for a container planting. I think they are all hardy in Z8 (?)

Hope someone else knows more about Primrose than I do, no idea on that one. I've never managed to get Freesia bulbs to do anything at all, so can't help with those either.

donna in nc likes this.