Braided Rag Rug and Pine Cone Wreath

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Biita, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Okay i been asked to post my rug. Its not done yet only half way thru...sitting on top of it is a pinecone wreath i made for christmas, so i just put them both together since the rug isn't done yet.

The wreath is made again from things that grows in the artic and around my farm. Heres the list: pinecones from the Norwegian Pine, white lichen from the marsh, yellow flowers that grow here on the farm that i dried this fall. ( i have no idea what they are called but they grow really tall) and yarrow that i have dried for crafts an also it makes a great tea.

[​IMG]

Here is the finished wreath an candle.
    [​IMG]

up close so you can see the things that i used
    [​IMG]

The rug is an American braided folk rag rug,, (say that 5 times fast,,lol) This is what i done so far
    [​IMG]

and up close for detail
    [​IMG]

Once i am done with about 5 more rows of the yellow an off white color then i will fade back into the red an gold colors then back to the yellow an white, then a few rows of the red an gold then fade to all red thick border, then all done,,,

2. Loading...

3. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

Whoa, that wreath is g-double-o-gorgeous!! And that rug will certainly brighten up a long dark winter.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a superb wreath. I had no idea what sort of rug you were making. It's great to see it. The colour is a nice one. I like planting yellow and red flowers close to each other.
    You still have a long way to go according to your description. What will be the end dimensions? Perhaps you will post updates from time to time before it is completely finished.
    Thank you very much for showing your lovely rug project...and the wreath.--yes AND the wreath

5. Biita

Thank you, that will probably go in the living room i'm not sure yet. But i decided i was going to have a homemade christmas, with decorations that i got from the land or farm an have dried or used fresh. Just something different an to pass the time. Glad you liked it!

Yeah i have a long way to go on that rug, but then it is a long winter,, lol. its for the kitchen, under the table when it gets done.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Biita winter is going to go fast for you with all the beautiful work you are doing to pass the time. Your wreath is gorgeous and I'd love to have one like it as a centrepiece on my Christmas table. As for the rug - well what can I say?!!! It's really lovely and the choice of colours you've chosen are perfect. How I wish I could sit and watch you making all your 'crafty' things as I'm sure I could learn a lot from you.

7. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Wreath.........;o)

I love the wreath around the candles.
    And rug.........

I used to do those BC>>>>>>>>>>>that stands for Before Computers..........

;o)
    :D

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Beautiful wreath Biita. I love that you are making all these decorations from the land.
    I've always wanted to make one of those braided rugs...is it difficult?

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The wreath is beautiful.
    I have always wanted to make a braided rug, heaven knows I have enough fabric left over from my quilting days. Your's is so cheery, it will look wonderful under the kitchen table.

Edited at 10 p.m. to add.....Great and thanks a bunch Biita ;) , all I have been thinking about this evening is trying to make a braided rug for under our kitchen table. Just what I don't need is another craft project to start. :eek:

10. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Oh, my, what beautiful things you make! That wreath is gorgeous. And I thought "Rug - what rug? That's a nice table cloth, lovely Christmas colours." It took me a while to understand that it was your rug. Silly me.

Your yellow flower is called reinfann, Tanacetum vulgare. It's been used for stomach problems and against clothes moths. Up north where you live, it was grown in the gardens to ensure access to it.

11. Biita

Thank you for the nice words for my work. I do love to craft, an there is a ton of stuff here that i have dried over the summer an fall. Not only for crafting but alot of it i have dried for medicinal porposes, an also because they taste good as a tea. the reindeer moss from the pincone tree is great for bronchitis, the yarrow is great for just about anything bothering you or if you are cut, the pinecones an pine needles are excellent for migranes or headaches, ect ect.

eileen i sure hope winter passes fast, but not too fast, i do love the winter up here.

bsewnsew, i would love to see your rugs,, can you post a pic of just one,,,,pleeeaaase! (or more)

toni, i can't have you just sitting still all winter,,lol. what good is that. glad i could inspire you tho. (running an ducking somewhere)

Netty, its not diffecult at all. i had to take out a section right in the middle because as i was lacing the stripes it started to warp on me,, i thought it would work itself out,, nope,,but basically the only thing hard on it is the braiding of the strips,, i start at the top of the stairs an start to braid long strips, that when done i am about to the kitchen sink when done,,lol. well that is almost at the bottom of the stairs. and also when you braid you have to make sure you don't let your braids twist.

droopy, thank you,,, i have been wondering what the heck this stuff is,, an so true it is right where the old gardens used to be. good to know. i asked KB what it is,, an his answer was, if its not made of wood i have no idea... he was a big help,,,not!

12. Penny

Penny Young Pine

You've done a greatr job, very nice!!!

13. Wrennie

Wrennie In Flower

Very nice work Biita!
    I get the brading part, so then do you sew each round to the last one?

14. Biita

No Wrennie, they are laced together, its kind of like sewing but when you start to wrap the rug, the strands flat, you take a seperate thread, i use a jute thread, or hemp thread, an you sew one side to the other alternating thru the braids loops. i don't know if that helped but i can try to explain again if you need.

15. Wrennie

Wrennie In Flower

Oh, I see. That makes sense. Not that I'm going to make one anytime soon. Just curious. Thanks.