Butterfly Bush Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Green_Numb, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Canadian Chelsea

Canadian Chelsea In Flower

I simply love your Butterfly Bushes. :stew2:

There are 3 in the gardens, 2 Black Night and one White Profusion. With all the wet weather lately, those darn earwigs have taken a liking to them.

Look what they have done:

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Canadian Chelsea's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Black Knight Butterfly Bush ( photo / image / picture from Canadian Chelsea's Garden )

*sigh* :-?

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Sharon, how is the Butterfly bush doing. Is it blooming and does it have the 3 different colors? Can you post a picture of it? Do you know the name of it? Mine is just purple, which I love, but would like a multi-colored one as well.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  3. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Does anyone know of a butterfly bush that has a smaller growing habit? I would love one but just don't have the space for a really big one.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

That is truly an ambitious project, GN. One bush looks wonderful in bloom, but a row of them - stupendous. I have a silver leaf bush with white blooms that grew into a six foot bush in 2 years that the butterflies love. I also have a Black Knight that so far has only existed. I need to try some shrub fertilizer. the third is a sprawling, pale lavender thing in my border. Love them all and they certainly keep the butterlies and Hummingbirds entertained.

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Buddleja ( Buddleia ) madagascariensis. I had this one for 4 years and it never got taller than chest high.
    --But you can keep your Buddlejas smallish by pruning them properly. Most of mine are kept to 4-5 feet. The others I let grow tall and wide on putrpose. Once again I determine that by how I prune them.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  6. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Gaylyn, the armadillos finally left the Butterfly Bush along, it grew really good and bloomed. Then don't you know, they came along one night and dug it up. It didn't hurt it, just slowed it's progress down, what with having to re-root. I had to stake it, but I think it will survive. And no, it did not have 3 different color blooms on it. The blooms are a lovely shade of lavender with a light orangey yellowish center. Very pretty. Sorry, I thought I had a pic but can't find it at the moment. I will try to take some today and post.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Thanks Sjoerd! I'll look into the smaller-ish variety. I know I could keep it small by pruning... but honestly, I have so many flowering shrubs to prune already and ... as a solo gardener, I run out of time/energy/daylight! I tend to avoid adding high maintenance things and seek out things that fit the space. My neighbor has one that is pretty... but goodness, it is running amok.

A chesthigh buddleia sounds about right -- though wait -- how tall are you??!! :-D

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes...I know what you mean by the time/energy/daylight comment. However, having said that--I prune my budds only once a year in march and it takes about 5-10 minutes per bush.

..."Chest high"-- :D Good point, Mizz Beans. I am 6 ft. 3 inches tall.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Gaylyn, here is what mine looks like:

[​IMG]

Philip Nulty likes this.
  10. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Cajunbelle, I have a bush that is supposed to be bicolored like that, its just beginning to bloom so we'll see...

I took some pics today so Ill have pics up in a few minutes

Here they are:
    Black Knight, in front of our house
    [​IMG]

Remember that tiny bush I posted a pic of, I think its on page 2 of this thread...here it is now Rainbow Butterfly bush from Michiganbulb
    [​IMG]

11. petunia

petunia Young Pine

after reading down thru each post-I'm really baffeled as to what may have happened to mine. I bought a potted butterfly bush last year because it was late, I left it in the greenhouse to winter. Now this sunner nothing happened. Should I wait another year or write it off as 'no good'. any info will be appreciated.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  12. TX flowergirl

TX flowergirl New Seed

Hi everyone, Im new to the site. there are some great commentson this blog. I've been gardening for a few years now and this is my second year butterfly gardening, love the butterfly bushes. We have 3 varieties the standard size and the dwarf size. I have my knowledge to share and interested in learning your successes. I will post some pics later today after I get out in the yard. :stew1:

Philip Nulty likes this.
  13. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Guess what, the armadillos came back, uprooted my beautifully blooming butterfly bush and it died, either the broke the main root, of I did it when I uprighted and staked it. I am soooooo upset.

Bip, do I see a beag in one of your pictures. My daughter has a beagle and he is just rotten:

[​IMG]

Philip Nulty likes this.
  14. TX flowergirl

TX flowergirl New Seed

If you have a bi-color bush, be carefull not to cut down too far in early spring. Some of these
    bi-colored bushes are one color graphed on to another. A severe cut back may take it down to only the original color,( the reason some only come back as a solid color) maybe instead of cutting to within 6" of the ground only cut to like a foot and mulch over nicely they can be a little more delicate to protect the graph, but great and beautiful.

moderator's note: corrected chatspeak to normal writing, see point 3.2 of usage rules

Philip Nulty likes this.
  15. blackrose

blackrose In Flower

Lovely flowers there, I love this thread and I would be following it.

Philip Nulty likes this.