Can I or should I use miracle grow on herbs?

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by newgrow, Feb 14, 2010.

1. newgrow

newgrow Seedling

I just picked up some sweet basil, oregano, and cilantro. Can I or should I use miracle grow on them? And how far apart from each other do they need to be? some say they can grow as big as a bush like 2-2.5 feet tall 1- 1.5 feet wide but yet if not I don't want wasted space. Thanks all. Or should I just plant in planters?

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. crystalblueatmosphere

crystalblueatmosphere New Seed

re: question about herbs

Are they seeds or already growing? If they are seeds you can always thin them as the grow or transplant into individual pots. I tend to get as many seeds going as possible and then move them out on their own as they get bigger.

4. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I grow herbs in big pots (20 -30 inched diam) every summer. I use herbs frequently so I tend to plant the basil fairly close together, maybe 6 inches or so and they fill in through the summer. I have found that Oregano and Cilantro will spread more quickly. I've never started them from seeds though -- I buy new plants. This year, it looks like the rosemary, lavender and maybe some parsley are making it through the winter. Don't know if that helps you at all...

5. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I generally just grow mine in pots so I can move them around when it gets hot and sunny. I move them to shade in the afternoon and sun in the morning if it's really hot. I don't think I've grown them in the grown except rosemary and it can get really big. I start them from seed mostly. dooley

Advertisement
  6. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I don't use fertilizer on herbs of the perennial persuasion. It helps them to develop their full flavor. A little stress helps give them lots of their natural oils, and flavors. My oregano, rosemary, and sages grow well in ground or in pots. Mine tend to get like small shrubs. Thyme is lower growing and sprawling. Mints I keep potted because they tend to run around. :-D

Basil...its an annual and my cool climate isn't favorable for it, plus the slugs like it as well as I do. Someone better versed on its growing can give you some help.

Happy gardening :stew1:

7. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I do not fertilize herbs... I think most herbs grow without too much persuasion.

8. newgrow

newgrow Seedling

Well thank you all that has helped a lot. I have maid up my mind. No fertilizer and keep in big pot. Thanks again. p.s. they are already plants not seeds..I tried seeds last year with very little to no luck.