Care of Christmas Cactus

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by sranna, Feb 21, 2014.

1. sranna

sranna New Seed

I received a Christmas cactus as a gift and rescued one from dying at one of the chain stores. I'm not sure what type of care to give it. How much and how often should I water it? I know that you also have to put it in the dark and cool temps to get it to bloom again. Can anyone give me specific directions? I hate it when I kill a plant. Thanks.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Mine seem to thrive on benign neglect. Water when the soil is dry to about an inch below the surface. At this time of the year put it in front of a bright window but not direct sun.

Mine stays in the same place almost year round, bright north window in my craft room. Since the light in my room is off at night that acts as the hours of no light then the bright window during the day gives them the light they need.

For blooming they need 12-14 hours of no light and 10-12 hours of regular bright window light every day for about 6 weeks. If you start that routine in late October/early November you should have blooms in December. The timing may be a little different than when you first got it since the nurseries force them to bloom in time for early December sales.
    When you start seeing the buds forming, then you can move it to a brighter location for the blooms.

Frank, Philip Nulty and purpleinopp like this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

"Mine stays in the same place almost year round, bright north window in my craft room. Since the light in my room is off at night that acts as the hours of no light then the bright window during the day gives them the light they need."

SNAP TONI!! :D

Philip Nulty likes this.