catbird nest

Discussion in 'Bird' started by carolyn, Jun 10, 2016.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Are you familiar with the catbird? We have a pair hanging around being pests, but they are really beautiful birds. I was pruning up a bush and found a nest they just started. Unfortunately that scared them away and they started a nest in the next bush, but WOW!..what a beautiful egg they laid in the nest. 100_2091.JPG

Tooty2shoes, Sjoerd, 2ofus and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Kildale
      Replies:
      Views:

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

That is a beautiful egg! Why not put it under a broody hen and watch her surprise when it hatches:sete_039:!
    We don't have catbirds, so thanks for introducing me to a new bird!

stratsmom and Philip Nulty like this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Gosh that's a really lovely colour for an egg. We don't have catbirds here so I've never come across a nest or eggs. I hope you can manage to get pics of the other nest and any youngsters that hatch.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

broody hen? I don't think she will feed it properly... not like a momma catbird I am sure. If it can't run the same day the momma hen won't do a very good job.

Eileen, it is a lovely color. even prettier in the real. as soon as I can get a picture of the bird I will post that, too.

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Beautiful egg Carolyn,..delighted to hear the Catbird has started a new nest,..as in Eileen's Scotland we don't have Catbirds here but i did come across them in the US,..i waited to hear its sound,..never did though,..supposed to sound like a Cat Meow,..hope you can manage a picture of yours.

Gray Catbird, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

7. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I saw a catbird once at my old house and I've heard them quite a few times. They really do sound like a kitten/young cat!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

That is a beautiful egg! How large is it? I don't think I've ever seen a catbird and definitely never heard one....unless I thought it was a cat!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

2ofus.. it is smaller than a robin egg.

Philip.. it sounds like a bird but also has a repertoire of other calls. I thought it was a mocking bird at first, but the bird looks nothing like a mocking bird and when I found the egg I realized it wasn't a mocking bird. These birds will actually cull out a cowbird egg themselves. I don't think a mocking bird would be able to tell the difference between its own egg and a cowbird egg.

Philip Nulty and stratsmom like this.
  10. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Carolyn,..that is one clever bird,..payback time against the Cowbird and its Cuckoo like tactics:like:

11. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Carolyn we have them around our side yard. I love to sit outside and listen to them sing. Such a wide variety of sounds they can make. I also love the cat-like sounds they can make. I often repeat that sound back to them.

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Well, I noticed the catbirds are gone... as soon as the strawberries were gone so were they. I went to check the other nest for the first time and there was one egg in it also but no birds hanging around. I will have to watch closely to see if they are really gone or just gone while I was in the flowerbed.