Cheese (and I don't mean smile)

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Islandlife, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Chuckle LI--I can well imagine that.
    You worked for KLM. fancy that! I hope that you enjoyed your work and had a good opinion of the airline. Things have changed a bit since those days, probably. There was a time when the qualifications of Dutch personnel applying for work with the KLM was so high that not many could be accepted. The result was that the airline was staffed with extremely capable (almost over-qualified) employees--from the mechanics to the cabin crews to the pilots and navigators. Hopefully you did enjoy being a member of the team.
    Yes LI, this is indeed an interesting bit of info.

2. LIcenter

LIcenter In Flower

Absolutely loved that job. I had been to Amsterdam a few times for training for duty station manager. Mostly all training with little down time to see the sites. Then all the unions began being busted up, and the majority of us lost our jobs.

Sjoerd likes this.
  3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Pity, that. Sorry to hear that, mate.
    Being a station manager sounds like a good challenge.

LIcenter likes this.
  4. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Your link was very interesting Sjoerd and the photos fascinating. I don't think I've ever seen a carpet beater here however I love shops of the kind you photographed. They are becoming extremely rare here as mostly we have big box chains. Would love to see the cheese market. That would definitely be a sight! Have now added another place to my bucket list :)

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Really glad that you liked the Alkmaar thread. It is such an interesting place to walk around in. There are cheese shops here and there as well as other types of small and large shops to explore...not to mention the alleys and views.
    That shop with the carpet-beaters are scarce here as well.

6. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

Digressing, I only ever flew KLM once and that was about 20 years ago Schiphol to Seoul return. I still have the Blue Delft canal houses with Bols still sealed although I believe the contents have dried up.

As for cheese, I like all cheese but in particular all blue cheeses. Not keen on chedders unless they are really sharp and flaky. I like fruit with cheese, apple, grapes, pickles or olives. Love good olives.

If you have not tried it you might enjoy Comté , a pleasant mild creamy semi hard French cheese. A bit like Emmental but nicer and without the holes.....

marlingardener likes this.
  7. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I love a good sharp white cheddar.