Chiperoos

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Sjoerd, Sep 12, 2023.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

For us, the wood-chips we found this year are the best evvah.

They are the degree of coarseness that we look for each time we need to smarten-up the wood-chip paths in the garden. We look for this chunky quality, but never find it. The council chippers grind them up fine-to-medium. The coarseness determines the life of the path— the finer the chip, the quicker the composting … the sooner you have to re-do the path.

So, how did we come upon these perfect chips?
    A couple of days ago (saturday), we were heading up the path towards the clubhouse on the way home after a long and hot day. It was 8 p.m. and the folks had a large bag filled with these lovely, coarse wood-chips. Naturally we had to make compliments and inquiries.

The man supplied us with coordinates which we could enter into a navigation app, et voilà— the location out in the countryside where there were two huge chip mountains sort of near each other.

We researched it that evening and late the following afternoon, we were off. We found the first pile; or should I say, where the pile was. The pile that had miraculously disappeared. What to do.

No dramas, we found the second mountain easily, and went to work.
    70ECC4DF-1BE9-4D48-B34E-15795BF14D79.jpeg

We loaded it all in and were off. It was late in the day and extremely humid, but we felt owed a chicken dinner. We had no intention of cooking and making the house hot at that late hour, so KFC it was.

By the time we got there it was a few minutes before 20:00. We ordered a small meal and proceeded to the next window. There was a bit of a wait, but finally it came…and kept coming. I had ordered a three-piece original box meal which included cole slaw and chips/fries. Which we would split.

The girl gave us two boxes crammed full of chicken. They were bulging. My Bride warned them that they gave us too much, fearing that the girl might get in trouble. The girl told us that we were getting extra because otherwise they would have to throw it away. We did not realise that they were closing. In total, we had nine pieces of chicken!

Holy mackerel…no chicken!

Right before going home we just had time to unload the bags and trugs onto the cart and brought to our allotment.
    81F36431-EBC8-4CC2-9ED6-FE0DDDD14789.jpeg

We could cool off and let the perspiration dry off, then we headed home. We were well chuffed with scoring the chips. We felt like real Chiperoos,

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
    Daniel W, Frank, Tetters and 3 others like this.
  2. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

We were very fortunate this year, and had a large trailer full of wood chippings dropped off for us on the land from a friend who is a tree surgeon. This material has mulched almost all of my new beds out on the camping site. I shall have to ask Zigs to help me with some photos as I'm having a few problems with the new laptop.
    We do have a wood chipper here too, and Zigs has provided a couple of big builder bags of mulch from off cuts with it. Onwards and upwards!!

eileen and Sjoerd like this.
  3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That truly was good luck. The timing was right.
    Congrats.

Tetters and eileen like this.
  4. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

That's a great finding, Sjoerd! Perfect!

I still have mound of chips from the arborist. Each time I walk past it, I think "I should get busy" LOL

Sjoerd likes this.
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Daniel—Chuckle…I know how that goes.
    We tried and estimate how much we would need and wound up filling all the trugs we had plus some bags. There is usually a little left over.
    Normally we do the paths in late fall-early winter…if we can wait. The new chips always look so nice.
    Good luck with your chip pile.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2023
    Daniel W likes this.