Christmas Cactus Questions

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Scarah, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Scarah

Scarah New Seed

Hi,
    Im new to the forum and sorta new to CC. I have a few questions on them (ive been researching but still un sure on a few things)
    I read not to have them by heat vents,my question for this 1 is how far away should they be? right now i have them on a stand 2-3ft above vent (its in the floor)is that okay or should i move them away? i chose this spot as its right in front of a sunny south facing bay window.

Also do they like to be hung better then on a stand or is that more of a preference thing?

for re-potting is it okay to do so once a yr just to refresh soil then put back in original container? my mix is a 2:1 ratio potting mix,perlite.

I think that it LOL,im going to put them outside for summer when things warm up here with hopes i can get re-blooms on my own

Thanks for any advice/tips

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. member21145
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. KDK12
      Replies:
      Views:

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

What I have learned is that they love to be root bound!
    Mine at work seem to thrive on neglect! :p

4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I agree with Strats. I think they like neglect & like to be pot bound. Someone told me that they like to summer outside in the shade and come in to a sunny window as it begins to cool off in the fall. The coolness is supposed to trigger a bloom. I don't know if this is true. I simply leave mine indoors and they all eventually bloom.

5. Scarah

Scarah New Seed

Thanks for the replys :) im planning on summering mine out doors as well (soon as it warms up)i didnt do anything last year and i got nothing except from the 1's i bought :/