Clematis seeds?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by stratsmom, Jul 25, 2014.

1. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Has anyone started a clematis from seeds? What can you tell me? I've been thinking of a clematis for a long time, then I watched one of Philip's videos and saw his. Now, I MUST HAVE ONE!! Since my budget is very limited this year I looked on ebay and found all kinds of seeds. What do you suggest???

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Doghouse Riley
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Cayuga Morning
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Saved seed rarely germinates,unless it is stored in optimum conditions. Like all members of the family the seed has only a very short life span. Best find someone with seeding Clematis and try with theirs.
    Sow fresh, leave safe, outside for Winter, germination in Spring. Hybrids do not come true.
    We have couple of very nice C. macropetala grown from seed and one or two species ones. too.

stratsmom likes this.
  4. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Ask a neighboring gardener to layer a stem for you. (Bury it in the ground). Or better yet watch the big box stores discounted plant section. I got two plants last year for a few bucks each. They looked ratty, but planting them in good potting soil and keeping them watered they perked right up. I got them in the ground after the fall rains started.

[​IMG]
    Purple clematis ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

This time of year mine are kind of tired looking anyway. This year the covered a five foot trellis.

stratsmom likes this.