Clivia growing

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Cayuga Morning, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

[​IMG]
    Clivia miniata growing in my office ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

[​IMG]
    What could be lovelier? ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Seeds....almost ripe ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Baby clivia, grown from seed, 9 months ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Adolescent clivia, grown from seed, 5 years old. Almost blooming size ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

[​IMG]
    See the clivia 'pup'? ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

I am waiting for this clivia to finish its bloom, then I will knowck it out of its pot and separate the 'pup' from the main plant. It will be ready to bloom in about another 3 years. Clivias grown from seed take a good 8 ears or so to be of blooming size.

The adolescent clivia (5 years old)(see photo) survived life on my daughter's college dorm window sill for 4 years!

Frank, oubee, donm and 8 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have one of these beautiful lilies. They thrive on neglect and produce the most lovely blooms.

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Beautiful. I love orange flowers! weird, I think, but I still like them. I have never seen a clivia blooming, either. Do they rebloom after this or is the plant done growing (and dies) once it blooms and the pups are the next generation? or is that 8 years the beginning of continuous blooming? I should just go research this for all my answers, huh? It is beautiful, though! Thanks for sharing it.

5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    What a beautiful plant. Love seeing the flowers with the ripe seeds. :stew2:

Advertisement
  6. Cayuga Morning

Carolyn,
    Clivias live a l-o-n-g time. How long I don't know. They are very easy to grow, as Eileen says. I think they are not better known because they take so long to get to blooming size. They older they get, the more blooming stalks the plant throws out each Dec-April bloom season.

Thanks Jewell & Eileen.

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My origional Clivia was over 30 years old when I had to give it to our Botanic gardens. It got so large ( with a dozen or so flower spikes) that I simply couldn't continue to have it in the house. I gave away so many 'pups' that I think everyone in the district has one. :D The one I have now is only four years old yet last year it produced a flower spike with 9 flower heads for me. The flowers aren't an 'in your face' orange but more a deep peach with yellow and white centres.

Like other lilies beware of the pollen as, if brushed against, it will stain your clothing.

Here is a photograph of mine in bloom last year:

[​IMG]

Henry Johnson, Droopy, Jewell and 3 others like this.
  8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Beautiful Clivia lilies! :stew2: I managed to kill the one I had. :oops: Which proves what I've always said, I'm so lousy at growing indoor plants they're better off at the nursery.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

In case you do come in contact with the pollen, DON'T try to wipe it off or wash it off. Take a chenille stem AKA a pipe cleaner (the craft type which has longer fibers, not an actual tobacco pipe cleaner {the fibers are very short}) and bend it into a slight oval, holding both ends between your finger and thumb, lightly brushing "collecting" the pollen off of the fabric until you have removed all that you can see. I learned this in a flower shop and we wore white shirts, so I used this method frequently while working there. Star gazer lilies had the darkest pollen and it worked as long as the pollen wasn't rubbed into the fabric.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  10. Cayuga Morning

"My original Clivia was over 30 years old when I had to give it to our Botanic gardens. It got so large ( with a dozen or so flower spikes) that I simply couldn't continue to have it in the house. I gave away so many 'pups' that I think everyone in the district has one."

Eileen, I am green with envy!!! :D

11. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

My sister had one of these...wonder what ever happened to it? Probably died, she is NOT a plant person...

12. Cayuga Morning

Hi all! Guess what I scored at the Conservation Commission's plant sale? A clivia! For $10! I have already divided it and given the 'pup' to a friend.

[​IMG]
    Oh what a find!! ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

That pup is already sitting on my friend's kitchen counter. :)

[​IMG]
    See the pup just crying out to be put in its own pot? ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

Frank and Henry Johnson like this.
  13. Joe Caudex

Joe Caudex Seedling

Stunning plants. Mine is still tiny. Maybe it will flower one day!

14. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

:eek: Shame on me again.....Now I will go out to the 'very clean' greenhouse and repot all my Clivia. I have a ton of them all in a few pots. :rolleyes: :oops:

15. Cayuga Morning

Good for you Barb! And & I am jealous of your "ton" of them! Post us a photo if you get a chance.

16. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

True confession:

I have had a few in the same pots for 20 years and have never repotted them.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :oops: :oops: