copper tape slug repellent

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by rockhound, Feb 10, 2013.

1. rockhound

rockhound In Flower

Last year I was reading about using copper sticky tape to repel slugs. Anybody remember where that discussion was? Maybe not here, dunno. Slug season is coming, if it works I want to try it.

2. Loading...

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

This might be it:

Does copper tape keep slugs away?

I used a copper tubing tucked just under the surface, a few years back and it didn't help at all. That is the way the old people did it. My grandma in particular.

Those slugs trampled all over my Mini Hosta like it they were pieces of candy.

BTW, too much copper will kill vegetation in that area.

Frank likes this.
  4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I see Frank gave me a seed for that last post. Thanks Frank although I am not sure why.

Well, I want to tell you that slugs love my greenhouse. I find just using beer in a saucer works great for they love beer more than my plants. When all else fails I use "slug bait".

5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I accidentally bought some very fibrous red cedar bark for paths last year. Think it might work like egg shells or ash. Red cedar is a common mulch in this area so is cheap here. It is the best thing I have found to slow the slug travels. There slime trails are easily disrupted by the mulch. I don't know whether it kills them or just keeps them confined because they don't like to travel on the fine furry splinters. I've notice a lot fewer slugs though.

My son used copper foil last summer and he was disappointed in the results. The slugs crawled right over it like it wasn't even there. I wonder if a perpetual rain and cool weather we had last summer could affect the effectiveness of the copper strips....copper isn't cheap, but is reusable.

Slug bait was my best slug killer, but I have pets now that like the bait as much as the slugs. Haven't been able to use it for the last few years. Lost my stargazer lilies without the extra protection. Sometimes growing your slug favorites in pots is a successful alternative. Easier to watch and elevate as well as to monitor for slug trails.

Frank and Henry Johnson like this.
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

The copper tape may have been coated to prevent oxidation. A good summer experiment, it is now on the list.

Jerry