Corn on the cob tonight!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by marlingardener, May 21, 2011.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We marked six ears of our Honey and Cream corn to be picked for dinner tonight. I'll start the pot boiling then hustle out to the garden to pull and shuck the ears. The hens will get the cobs to play with tomorrow (they peck them down to the size of a pencil!).
    With the drought, we feared we wouldn't get corn this year, but with supplemental watering, we will get some to enjoy.
    Gosh, I love this gardening thing!

2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

We will not see fresh corn for another two months. Sometimes it's the little things that I find interesting. I did not know that hens would be interested in used corn cobs, much less peck them down so small.

Interesting creatures,

Jerry

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Jerry, you would be amazed at what chickens find attractive! They dearly love Swiss Chard, and will eat any amount they can get. Corn cobs are more "fun food" than nutrition, but chickens are entitled to a little entertainment, too.
    The corn lived up to its billing--sweet, but tasted of corn, and was tender. We may have more for breakfast tomorrow!

5. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

The only time I tried corn in the garden we lived in Arizona. It grew really tall and had good sized ears. Just when I thought it would be ready to eat the ants found it. They infested every ear. They were the little black ants that sting and leave welts. It all got pulled up and put out for the goats and the chickens.
    Chickens will eat almost anything. When I worked at a home daycare the chickens lined up at the fence every day at lunch time because the kids always saved something from their lunch to feed the chickens.
    dooley

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Jane... I was eyeing some of the corn in hubby's garden today... I bet some will be ready to eat within a week or so.
    For supper tonight, we did have some of the squash, peas, jalapenos, and onions.
    Oh yeah... and cucumber for dessert! :D

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

Our corn needs another two weeks yet !! But we have had new potatoes, squash, zuchinni, and of course salad !! Tonight it will be fried eggplant and green tomatoes !!

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Wow! Our eggplants are just beginning to blossom, as are our cucumbers. I envy you the eggplant Mart, and the cukes, Cheryl. I'll just have to wait and try to be patient!

9. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Jane... we've been munching on stuff out of the garden for a weeks now... like Eggplant, tomatoes.. lots of cucumbers.. and squash. My aunt even suggested fried cucumber! I liked it!
    The peas are just about ready for THEM to start picking... and yep... corn is not far behind.
    I was tempted to pick one this afternoon... but didn't want to get my hands slapped! :D