Cracking up

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by marlingardener, Nov 26, 2023.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

cracker at work.jpg
    Each fall we purchase 10 lbs. of pecans from the local feed store. My husband sets up our pecan cracker in his workshop, and brings the cracked pecans in for me to pick out. We use a lot of pecans in Christmas baking. I also enjoy sitting and picking in the evenings.
    We were a little shocked this year. Fifty years ago my husband was on a business trip to Alabama, and he bought 10 lbs. of pecans off the back of a pick-up truck by the side of the road (you gotta love the South!). The pecans cost $1 a pound. We have been buying them locally for $1 a pound for 17 years. This year they were $1.25. Inflation!

2. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Fresh pecans are amazing, I love them in all kinds of foods. I made some banana bread with pecans just yesterday! I only wish I could find pecans for $1.25 a pound!
    I bought a tiny packet of pecan halfs the other day and it cost me almost $5 for a 3.5oz! Very expensive here, wish I could grow them!

3. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

When we first moved to Texas we lived in a house that had 5 pecan trees in the backyard. During pecan season people would walk around with 5 gallon buckets picking them up and taking them to the local pecan buyer. That year for Christmas everyone back home in Washington State got pecans in their packages. That was back when shipping was reasonable.

Melody Mc. and Logan like this.
  4. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Pecan Pie :smt055

I grew up with black walnut trees in the yard.
    those are hard! We cracked them with a hammer on an anvil. Cant find them now.

Melody Mc. likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

That is the most amazing tool I've ever seen. And honestly...I've never eaten a pecan. My nut allergy ( mostly walnuts and hazelnuts) has made me avoid every nut. But...the sight of a pecan pie makes me wish I could. I had no idea they were so popular.

Sjoerd likes this.
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That is such an interesting-looking tool, Jane. I have never seen such a thing. My Bride was also amazed...she is extremely fond of pecan pie. You just almost never see it over here.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Our pecan cracker was made by a retired gentleman in Oklahoma. Friends were visiting family there, and seeing the cracker, and having received lots of pecans from our tree, they brought a cracker home as a gift to us. I wrote him a note to tell him how helpful it was, and to urge him to get a patent.
    Now our cracker makes the rounds of our friends who can be trusted to return it!

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.