Critters on my veggie plants

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by FLgarden, Mar 16, 2022.

1. FLgarden

FLgarden New Seed

Hello all! New to gardening! Just started a vegetable garden about 4-5 weeks ago (some plants are from seed and some are from plants I bought at Home Depot). I live in central Florida, so weather has been warm, in the 70’s, 80’s since I planted. I would say the lowest temp has been in the low 50’s at night. I am having some problems with critters and have some questions! Tried to google, but could not find clear answers. I am hoping someone here can help
    1. Leaf miners on just about all of my tomato plants, bottom level leaves mostly. I have also spotted their swirly lines on my pea plants too. How do I get rid of these? Neem oil? I tried a homemade spray of water, dish soap, a couple drops of peppermint oil, but haven’t noticed any difference. I have spinach starting to sprout and I am worried they will attack that too!
    2. Aphids on my green peppers and jalapeño pepper plants, mostly congregating on the flowers. I sprayed with my homemade concoction and that seems to keep them at bay, but will they eat my peppers or do they just eat the flowers/leaves? Will they kill my plants if left untreated? And will they spread to tomatoes and peas, which are nearby?
    3. I planted cucumber seeds in small cups and then transplanted into the garden when the weather warmed up, but they have not grown at all, they are the same exact size from 4 weeks ago. They are still green, but should I give up and pull them out and plant seeds directly into the garden? I did the same with green beans, and they have not really grown much at all, although they are flowering now and I see 2 tiny green beans forming. But the plant itself is only about 6 inches tall.
    4. I have dark spots all over the leaves of a different tomato plant that is in a container in my backyard. Mostly lower level leaves. Could this a sign of over watering? Some kind of disease? It’s been raining a lot recently, I’m thinking of moving it to a covered location.
    Thank you all for reading this post and for any help/tips/guidance you can offer!

Odif likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

1. Leaf miners can be eliminated with a spray of 1/4 c. molasses mixed with 1 1/2 c. water. I used this on broccoli, and it stopped the little buggers in their tracks.
    2.Aphids can be controlled/eliminated by an insecticidal soap. Note please "soap" not detergent. I use Ivory, but Dreft works, too. To a gallon of water add 5 tblsps. soap, shake well, and spray the plants' leaves top and bottom. Do this early in the morning or just before sundown, so the water doesn't act like a prism and burn the leaves.
    3. Cucumbers, be patient. I plant directly here in Texas, but I see lots of cucumber starts at plant shops. The green beans we also plant directly, about now. Be patient, and next season plant directly in the soil.
    4. I have no idea, but I'm sure someone else here on the Stew will be able to help.
    Good for you starting a garden. Warning, it is addictive and you'll soon be wanting to plant more and more. Go for it!

FLgarden, Odif, eileen and 1 other person like this.
  4. mart

mart Strong Ash

If MG`s mixtures do not work,, come back and I will tell you what I have used for the last 20 years or more with no problems ! Those dark spots can be a watering problem depending on how bad they are ! They can also be water spots left on the leaves ! I wouldn`t worry about it unless they get worse ! Tomatoes like full sun so maybe a change in location !

FLgarden likes this.
  5. FLgarden

FLgarden New Seed

Thank you both for the replies! I am going to try the molasses mixture!
    ... I also just noticed what I think are cutworms under my zucchini leaves! Saw a post about wrapping the bottom of the stems with aluminum foil, so I did that today! Boy, this gardening is hard work, but I am determined!

6. mart

mart Strong Ash

I have never heard of cutworms under the leaves ! Usually they hit plants when young and cut them at the soil line ! Can you take a pic ? Cutworms are about 3/4 inch long or so !