Cutting firewood.

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Capt Kirk, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

With the cost of energy skyrocketing this year I am going to burn more wood than what I normally do. I normally only burn the wood burner when the weather gets really cold. Here in Ohio, USA, that's normally Jan, Feb and early March. I have electric base board heat and I use it in Nov. and Dec. They are saying that gas and oil for heating will be at least $100 a month more expensive this winter. So I am laying in a good supply of wood. The firewood that I am cutting is already dead, so it isn't like I am cutting down forests or anything. Also my neighbor who is a farmer has cleared out a bunch of fence rows and he has a huge pile of logs and trees that he isn't using for anything. And he told me to help myself! Ya gotta love a neighbor like that! What do other people heat with and how much more expensive is it supposed to be this winter?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Gustavo Woltmann
      Replies:
      Views:

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We heat with all wood except for an electric heater in the bathroom. We were paying $125.00 per cord. But this year they are logging bark beetle killed trees so we are getting wood from the slash piles for free. That's the branches and small limbs. The loggers only want the huge trunks. We've carried some pretty big stuff out of there. But our New chain saw dies yesterday. Brian says it's going back to Sears. We hauled 14 loads in our pickup so far. More than we need but it might not be there next year. Dooley

4. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

Dooley, I am on my second Poulan chain saw. The first one lasted 18 years before it was worn out and I have had this one for 5 years. I don't think they can be beat. Sears used to be made by Poulan but I think they use someone else now.

5. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We took the saw back to Sssears and got the money back this time. It was the second one that quit. Must be a problem of some kind in the saw. We bought an 18 inch Ryobi this time. It cost a bit more but maybe it won't break in two weeks. We got an extended warrenty just in case. Dooley