Datura problem

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by george09, Apr 24, 2009.

1. george09

george09 New Seed

Hi,

Am have a tough time this Spring with my Daturas. All the fresh leaves are covered in green aphids. I have used insecticide several times (specific against aphids), have used soap water, have removed them by hand. But, they seem to be indestructable. The Datura keeps loosing more and more leaves, and am also starting to loose the beginning flowers.

Next to the Datura I have Advocado, Pipa, chili peppers, basil, coriander, melons, but they are not being touched. The Datura must tast pretty darn good.

Please help !!!

2. Loading...

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I have used dawn dish liquid and a small amount of vegetable oil.It seems to work.I have also used plain old homo milk it seems to work too.

4. george09

george09 New Seed

Thanks, will give it a try and let you know.
    By the way, the dish soap that I tried was Dawn. First tried with about 1 ts for 4 cups of water, when this didn't do anything, used 1 tbs, and still not any result.
    What does the milk do? Is there a site that describes it in more detail?

5. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Must be super aphids. I usually just wash my off with a mist from the hose. dooley

Advertisement
  6. george09

george09 New Seed

Problem getting worse

My Datura lost all of its flowers but 2, and now, the little dirty rats have moved to these flowers. In the mean time, the Datura's leaves look more and more unhealthy (green/yellow dots) and every day I am loosing a few. Hereby a picture of one of these rats, taken with a macro, and a picture of a flower covered with them. Black ants have now also joined the family.

A few days ago, discovered black aphids / ants on my fava beans. Sprayed once with my Bayer killer, and done with them. Does anyone know if there is any difference between the green aphids and black ones?

7. george09

george09 New Seed

8. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

Bring in the Ladybugs!

9. george09

george09 New Seed

Indeed. Have thought about it too. Will have to ask our local Wilco, as I haven't seen any for sale yet.

Did some more research today, and found that insecticide resistant aphids are becoming a increasing threath. Many articles about potato aphids in england, and cotton aphids with us and Asia.
    The resistance builds as aphids with genes that withstand the insecticide better survive and reproduce. As such they get stronger and stronger.
    I sure hope they all taste as good to the ladybugs, or we will be getting a ladybug resistance too ...