Daylily Rust, Are your plants infected?

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by Jerry Sullivan, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

An issue with Daylily Rust fungus has surfaced and is becoming more of a problem. A little more searching for the fungus, Puccinia hemerocallidis, has produced several sites with information. The fungus, first identified in Florida in 2000, survives the winter in zone 7 and warmer. It is a bigger problem for commercial growers as they do not want to sell infected plants. Several anti-fungal agents, applied at appropriate intervals, eliminates the fungus. Cost of the agents may be a problem for the homeowner. Living in zone 6a would appear to prevent the fungus from surviving the winter, however, it has not prevented it from appearing on several of my daylilies. As it is the latter part of the season I will remove the leaves separately and not allow them to remain in the plant area over winter. Next spring I plan to be more vigilant. It is a relevant subject for discussion as many members hail from the southern tier of the US and other warmer climates where the fungus can survive the winter and will be more of a problem.

Jerry

2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I'll have to pay closer attention to mine.
    Thanks for the heads-up!

4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Thank you.. ;)

5. Jerry Sullivan

One of our members, Cayuga Morning, noticed it on a couple of her daylilies. As it is been here in the US since 2000 it may be more of an issue than most people think.

Ref: http://www.gardenstew.com/about30330.html

Jerry

Advertisement
  6. sgmgarden

sgmgarden In Flower

It was good of you to share this piece of information with us Jerry. I am sure it will make us more aware of it and we can start to pay a bit more attention. Thanks again :)

7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Jerry--I read the link you included & I am confused. My infected daylilies don't have anything sticking out the back side of the leaves. And there is no dust that I can determine. Could I have some other infection?

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

9. Jerry Sullivan

Learning about and understanding Daylily Rust will require of us a learning curve. Depending upon the degree to which it effects us and our gardens will usually dictate our knowledge of the subject. Puccinia hemerocallidis has 5 stages in its lifecycle. As time progresses we will undoubtedly experience all 5 stages. How it effects our plants now also will vary. As we learn more we will come to recognize how our plants are effected. Last week Puccinia hemerocallidis it was not on the radar, today.......

The disease does not look to have reached stage where it releases spores(my slightly educated guess) Next week my answer may change or I may have to modify my opinion. But it seems, like it or not, our cart is hitched to the horses and we are along for the ride.

Daylilies like water, about an inch a week, it is raining buckets, and yesterday I fertilized the lawn. :)

Time to turn the page on learning about gardening.

Stay tuned.....

Jerry

10. Cayuga Morning

So the deed is done. I have dug up my two infected daylilies, disposed of all their leaves, washed their tubors of soil and they are now sitting shorn & forlorn in pots with fresh soil. I suppose I should just send them the way of their infected leaves....but it seems so cruel. I plan on taking them to my office balcony to isolate them & see if new foliage will also be infected. If it is, I will have to harden my heart and just dispose of them. Wish them luck.

11. Jerry Sullivan

I would not give up all hope, as Puccinia hemerocallidis, exposed to the cold of zone 6 winter does not survive. The process begins anew next summer. I would suggest the potted plants be protected from the ravages of winter. Next summer, a watchful eye should reveal how it faired through the winter. It may be fine. Don't throw it away!!

Jerry

12. Cayuga Morning

Oh! That's a relief! I was afraid I wasn't being wise, trying to keep these two. I have checked the other daylilies & haven't found the disease elsewhere. Good news, that.

BTW, you think that pink is a Catherine Woodbury? A friend gave me a tuber a bit ago. It is the right bloom season, the right height, etc.

13. Jerry Sullivan

14. Cayuga Morning

Jerry, It does look like a Catherine Woodbury. I have also read that Catherine is particularly susceptible to daylily rust: http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/cro ... 04-089.htm

I continue to be confused because the above link reiterates the raised aspect of the pustules & the fact that one can find dust on one's fingers from the disease. have decided to assume it is daylily rust because everything else points to that.

II wish I had found this link prior to dealing with my infected daylilies because it gives advice about how to cut off infected foliage. The good news is that it says the rust does not infect the tubers.

Have you read this link?

15. Jerry Sullivan

I had not seen that web site, quite informative. The reproductive process for Puccinia hemerocallidis is complex requiring not one but two hosts to complete its lifecycle. Finding it on daylilies alone may not be enough. The alternate host also has to be available. This may account for your not finding any pustules. As previously mentioned vigilance and good garden maintenance is a must. Pictures, front and back of leaves, for documentation would seem to be a prudent undertaking as well as a log. I will use my garden log and all the pictures have imbedded time and dates. Remembering from season to season what the plants looked would be made that much more complicated without the them.

I really did not need this as I have just added 45 new groups and expanded or made several new daylily beds. :-(

Jerry

16. Cayuga Morning

Jerry, I know. I feel overwhelmed by this & I am sure I do not have the number of daylilies that you do. I am planning to cut all daylily foliage down to the ground come fall and dispose of it off the property. I also plan on using a fungicide.