Did I kill my carnation seedlings?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by fish_4_all, Mar 19, 2010.

1. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

I have, or at least had some very healthy looking carnations that I left outside all night. I know, dumb mistake but I am blond and sometimes the old saying goes with males too. It got down to 34 F last night and I think I may have killed them all even though they do not look bad yet. Will it hurt them badly because they were outside in the cold all night? How long would I expect it to take to see tyhem start dying off if it hurt them bad enough that they won't recover? It did not freeze next to the house and they were off the ground so maybe that will be an omen that they were not harmed too badly.
    [​IMG]

They look fine right now although a couple of them have layed down but they did grow a lot overnight amazingly enough. I really need to get them in their planter so they can grow properly. Their roots are starting to come out of their coconut coir and peat moss pots so it is time. Have to fast track them to hardening off and hope I don't get a freeze in the next couple weeks.

2. Loading...

3. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

Well it doesn't appear that i killed any of them. A coule layed down but the true leaves are growing up toward the light and they all look healthy so I don't have to restart the whole batch again.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have carnations in the garden that have been in since last year. They are obviously quite hardy as they were under snow for around three months. They even survived the -15C we had and the severe frosts. Your little seedlings all look happy and healthy to me so I'm sure there's no need to worry. :-D

5. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

They look very good now. I took them outside for a while today again and they did just fine. Finally got the plastic on the "greenhouse" so it stays warmer but have some work to do to get a door on it. Also have to put a base on it. Thinking about putting a piece of plywood across the back but don't know yet. Will see how sturdy the thing is without it.