Did this start out as a shrub?

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Ronni, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

I had 2 forsythias in my old house but I definitely don't want any in this one. They have a very short flowering season here and I don't like the plant without the flowers.

2. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I would love to but I don't think I am up to teaching computer classes to an 85 year old gardener!!! :D Its a shame too because she would love it!!!

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I did this gigantic post about this and, BOOM, it went away before i could hit SUBMIT. Now I will do a reasonable one. :D

ronni, If you clip the ends of those stems to about 6 inches, so you have the youngest growth, and strip the leaves except the first 4 or so and all flowers dip it into a rooting hormone or not, stick them in a good potting soil and pot. Put it in a plastic bag and twist-em the top. Keep it in a sun lit window and make sure it stays wet you will get roots in 2 months. I don't tent mine anymore for I don't care if they loose all the leaves when they need to. They do what they need to anyway. I put as much as 50 little branches in one pot lined right up against each other with a little soil between them.

DONNA S I absolutely love that pot your plant is in. It is splendid....

I started all my little plants in Spring, Summer, and Fall. What ever had good roots goes outside along the side of the greenhouse where it is protected, most of the time. the ones from Fall or have not rooted yet stay by the window in the greenhouse in 60 degree temps. They do fine. The pictures I put up are the ones in the greenhouse as our Forsythia are not doing anything outside yet. I'll bet I have 6 pots of it but I can't be sure for all the snow has slid off the greenhouse down on them and my Holly, Hosta, Rose of Sharon, Boxwood Azalia.

I am only doing what my mom and grandma would do. I really don't know what I am doing. stratsmom I just love those little clues that the old people tell us. My grandma used to tell me them but I didn't pay attention to her at that time. She was good.......

She used to say, Give me a poor wasted piece of land and I will make it rich and productive in a few years. I had seen her do that.

So ronni, Why don't you go get a few new clippings and try to get them growing? If you don't want them you can share them with someone who would love them and if they don't grow, you really don't have anything to loose, do you? You may get some knowledge. :eek: