Dinner and a Drink

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Biita, May 19, 2009.

1. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Yep thats right its all about dandelions.

Don't run, read thru, you might like what you see.

First off this morning when i took Balder out to help fertilise the open field, my eyes went crazy. Dandelions everywhere. So after taking Balder back home, and collection my bowl, i went back.

[​IMG]

I only collected enough for tonights dinner.

[​IMG]

Then i went to the back yard and yes, i grow nettles, or i should say they have grown here and let them now. So off i go and pick a small bowl full of them. I use gloves and scissors and cut away the leaves after i cut about half way down the stem. Do not pick nettles after they begin to flower or they will be very bitter.

[​IMG]

Rinse your nettles in a collender and put back into the little bowl and put in the fridge. In the mean time, take the dandelion blossoms and shake real good and pinch back the green that connects it to the stem, but not to far, or your flower will fall apart. Now dust with corn or while flour. Put in the fridge.

Next after rinsing the dandelion leaves, chop up and also put in the fridge.

Now were ready to make chicken, dandelion and nettle wraps Norwegian style, and fried dandelion blossoms. Heres what you need to get started.

[​IMG]

Ground chicken, dandelion greens, nettle leaves, 2 shallots, one baby leek or half of a large, sugar, salt, pepper, dill fresh or dried and i use gran eddik or pine vinager that i make. You can use apple cider or any flavored vinegar of your choice.

Cook the chicken with half of the leeks, salt, pepper and dill. when done take out of the skillet and add some water, not much, and flavor with sugar and vinegar to taste. I like mine with more vinegar to taste. Put in the rest of the leeks and shallots, cook until tender then add the nettles, half at a time until it cooks down and looks like spinach cooked. Then add the chopped up dandelion leaves. Do the same. Add meat and let cook together about 5 min. Nettles and dandelions only need a minute to cook thru. So don't over cook or you loose the good nutrition they pack. Should look like this.

[​IMG]

While all that is cooking, I use as my wrap lefse, but its not regualar lefse its dried. Those of you who do not have this can use large soft tortillias. I wet each piece very lightly and place between a damp kitchen towel and let sit for 15 min. Mine looks like this before it gets floppy.

[​IMG]

Now take a wrap and place the meat filling about 3/4 full and layer with fresh carrots that you peel and then keep peeling to get the nice long pieces. I use raw for this.

[​IMG]

Then roll up and refrigerate until ready to serve.

The dandelion blossoms should be shaken of critters but do not wash them. you loose the good sweet pollen and also your blossom colapses. Make a tempura batter, I used half flour and half corn flour, baking powder, salt and pepper, 1 egg and milk. There are many recipes on the net. But that is my own version. Heat your oil until anything will fry, and dip each blossom in the tempura and place gently into the oil. only take a minute to cook. Drain and serve. Dandelion blossoms taste just like fried summer squash. There you have it, our dinner tonight. Make sure you get out your dandelion wine and make the most of a dinner compliments of nature.

[​IMG]

I like my wraps served with the pine vinegar (tastes like balsamic vinegar) and KB likes his with a garlic dressing, i bought that, not homemade. And i thought i would leave you with a pic of one of our little honey bees.

[​IMG]

Enjoy!! I know we did.

Frank and DeepWoods like this.
  2. Loading...

3. wilsonmian

wilsonmian Seedling

Hi,
    by reading this i enjoy a lot, how much you enjoy?

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I was thinking of you today Biita when I looked at my lawn...thousands of Dandelions in bloom! Your meal looks delicious :)

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiyah Biita!
    I have missed these types of posting from you. I like them very much, y'know.
    It was a good one and easy to follow.
    That closing piccy was a gem!
    Thanks for this posting.

Advertisement
  6. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Sounds good, Biita, esp the fried blossums. Look forward to more of your foraged meals.

7. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I'm so glad to have you back in rare style.I was thinking about battering some dandelion blooms and deep frying.Your recipe sounds easy.

8. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Thanks all!! Well spring is here, and summer on the way. And as i go out and forage, i will make more and more wild foods. I'm so glad everything is blooming now, because doing this is one of my passions. Glad you all enjoyed it as much as we did!

9. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Lovely step-by-step tutorial for us who want to try it but don't know where to begin. Thank you Biita. :D