Do you think it stands a snowball's chance?

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by cherylad, Aug 31, 2013.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I bought this Viburnum Japanese Snowball this spring with the assurance it could handle full sun (and I mean at least 12 hours)and our winters. Poor thing seems to have been struggling all year, and I try to keep it watered. It's supposed to be a spring bloomer.... but it is loaded with buds (for something so small - about 2 foot tall). Do you think it's trying to reproduce before it dies... or "melts"?

[​IMG]
    Viburnum Japanese Snowball-plant ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Viburnum Japanese Snowball bloom ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Philip Nulty and Mrs. Galeassi like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Philip Nulty
      Replies:
      Views:

3. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

Funny it's blooming now.
    I got a few viburnums, and the ones I struggle with in hot summer is the 3 V. carlesii. They look sooo bad. Flopping leaves, half of them brown and burnt ...just terrible.
    But I also try to water them as often as I remember.
    I'm not worried about winters... it's summers that make me bite my nails :)

4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Lovely bloom Cheryl,..hope its just blooming because it needs to do so before winter arrives,..keep it watered from the base,..i would put some water containing crystals below the soil to help it with the dry season.

5. cherylad

Calin... yep, our summer can be brutal on the plants. If I had watering restrictions, I'd bet most of the things here wouldn't make it.

Philip... the dry season around here is practically year 'round. :D
    I hope you're right about it blooming now. I may need to increase it's water from every-other-day to everyday now that it's blooming. Sure is a pretty thing... hope it lives to bloom like it's supposed to.

Advertisement
  6. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

Maybe the sun is just to much for it since its still kinda getting settled. I know this sounds weird but maybe put an umbrella over it during the hottest part of the day. I'm still a newbie so sorry if my idea stinks. But I know that some plants take awhile to get rooted and maybe its too much for the lil guy just yet.

7. cherylad

Laura... it's not crazy at all. I had to do that once for a Calla that was planted in the wrong spot.
    I planted this in early to mid spring, surely it has had time to settle in? It really hasn't grown much since then either.
    Or when they said full sun... maybe they didn't mean FULL SUN. I just might have to give it some shade.