Dooley's small garden

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by dooley, May 7, 2011.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I only wanted a small garden this year. dr and our "gardener" put down the black plastic and weighted it down with buckets and flower pots. Then, the cut holes for the plants and added garden soil we bought. They planted tomatoes, eggplant and a bush cucumber. Then they put mulch down over the plastic.

[​IMG]
    The garden before plants ( photo / image / picture from dooley's Garden )

Around the edges I added jalapeno peppers, banana peppers, climbing cucumbers and onions. The roses are on three fences. The cucumbers are on a part of the other fence and I planted pole beans along the rest. The pole beans didn't come up but somehow there are some morning glories there.

[​IMG]
    North half of garden ( photo / image / picture from dooley's Garden )

But, the summer squash didn't fit so around the yard are patches of summer squash, about 20 of them. I need to add some fertilizer to them as they aren't very big and they are starting to flower.

I have sweet basil, spearmint, oregano, spicy globe basil and swiss chard in pots. The lettuce has finished. I'm thinking of replanting it but it's pretty warm here so I'm not sure it will grow.

I have tomatoes, eggplant, banana peppers and cucumbers already on the plants. Not ready to pick yet but I'm waiting patiently.It'll get there one of these days.
    dooley

marlingardener and Philip Nulty like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Dooley,
    a job well done!,..putting down the black plastic and covering it with soil is a faster way rather than all that digging then weeding,..the weeding in particular,..you are going to have a bumper crop,..shame about the beans though,..i always found beans to be iffy,..thought it were just me,..my lettuce seems to thrive in the cooler rather than warmer weather,..though there are many species,..again well done on a good job.

4. featherphobia

featherphobia Seedling

Really looks great. With the price of veges at the market you'll be saving money soon. What's the fence keeping in/out?

5. dooley

The fence is keeping out our dog and assorted rabbits, etc. There are many dogs that run loose in the neighborhood. A fence ensures no creatures are tramping things down.
    dooley

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That garden of yours this year looks really good. You have such a good variety.
    Please do show more pics as things develop.

That was a lot of work!

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Your garden is looking great Dooley, I'm almost envious, except ours is coming along, but only in the high tunnel. It rained last night and again today on and off all day. No work for us outside again today. Too bad you can't just put up a KEEP OUT sign for the critters, fencing is so much work.

8. dooley

I don't have all of the flowers and the summer squash fenced and Chance sometimes takes a direct line instead of going around them. I usually tell her not to walk on the flowers or the squash. After once or twice she listens. But, I hate telling her she did something she shouldn't do. She's bacially a good dog. She just doesn't understand why she can walk on grass, etc and not on the other plants. A fence helps her stay out of things without getting told don't. It's like a little kid getting into things. We did put a circle of wire fencing around the little trees so she doesn't run them down when she has to "chase" the goats away from the fence. What I don't understand is why sometimes she chases them and sometimes she plays nose to nose games with them. What's the criteria for playing or chasing?
    dooley

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Dooley, I love your definition of a "small" garden! That is intensive agriculture you've got going.
    I have had absolutely no luck with pole beans for three years--if they deign to come up, I don't get any beans and the vines are scraggly. I gave up and put the area into more bush beans.
    Please tell us what you are going to do with all the squash from 20 plants. This is not an idle question, since I have about that many squash in the garden now. :smt045

10. Edlou8181

Edlou8181 Seedling

WOW

Dooley that's the type of garden I used to do years ago,now I'm here.
    Keep up the good work
    ed

11. dooley

Do you not remember my saying that I sell my aprons and tote bags at the local farm market? What better place to rid myself of excess, after I fill my freezer, of course. I grate some squash in two cup quantities for making zucchini bread or muffins.
    The market was going to open May 6th but the man's wife had to have some surgery. I'll have to call later this week to see how she is feeling.
    dooley