Dragonfruit trellising and growing condition questions

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by rOckabLe, Jun 9, 2010.

1. rOckabLe

rOckabLe New Seed

Okay. So Im a total sucker for not-normaly-at-our-garden-center-plants, So when I saw 2 dragonfruit tubs sitting there... waving at me... I had to buy one. I read the label and it says to support the growing plant with wood stakes and it would attach itself with aerial roots. Well thats really not enough information. I looked it up online and just like with everything else, I couldnt really find the answers to what I was looking for. They show them being trained vietnamese style but most of the sites I looked at never really went into detail about how to do that, And of course, thats how I want to trellis it. It looks as if it mite be multiple "canes" (not really sure what they're called) tied together to form it, but Im not sure.. Its a cactus, and most of the information givin suggested it would be okay for short amounts of frost spells, but doesnt really give a suggested zone or ideal temp to not go below or above (about 20-25F lows in winter, 90-110F summer) It also says you can train them to a wall, has anyone tried this? I'd love to train it to sprawl along the outside of my garden wall (South facing block wall, almost stucco like surface with 2 cherry/plum trees lightly shading the wall) Some topics say it likes filterd sun, other say full sun is best. Does it need another Dragonfruit to produce fruit? Cross-pollinating? Self-pollination? About the only thing im for sure on is it has aerial roots and its a cactus LoL, ANY help is appriciated.

2. Loading...

3. featherphobia

featherphobia Seedling

wish i knew what to tell you. but now you have me wanting one of these too.

4. zebraman

zebraman New Seed

Dragonfruit

Hey rOckable; In Palmdale you should give it filtered light. Dragonfruit is a jungle grower. You will need to hand pollinate as they are normally pollinated by fruit bats at night. I use posts on my deck to tie them to but I live near the beach here in CA. I have several plants and hand pollinate. I personally think that this fruit is a bit overrated.