dried pods, pointed leaves, tall, in woods in NC

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by catgirl13131, Sep 9, 2014.

1. catgirl13131

catgirl13131 New Seed

Hi, This is a close up and a farther away shot of this plant to show how it grows. It was spotted in the woods in Salisbury, NC. Can anyone help identify it? Thanks so much!!

[​IMG]
    found growing in the woods in Salisbury, NC ( photo / image / picture from catgirl13131's Garden )

[​IMG]
    view of plant in woods in Salisbury NC ( photo / image / picture from catgirl13131's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. tkhooper

tkhooper Seedling

are you sure they aren't bats? lol. They look really great for Halloween.

carolyn and purpleinopp like this.
  4. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Maybe hardy Hibiscus.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

That's what it reminds me of too purpleinopp, a Hibiscus of some sort. Maybe a bird was so kind as to plant one in the woods?

Advertisement
  6. catgirl13131

catgirl13131 New Seed

Thanks y'all...I wish I could have seen it in bloom. It's so hard to tell. The way it had 4 flowers on kind of a stalk..I just couldn't figure it out. I'll try searching for anything like it as hibiscus. Hibiscus doesn't winter here. We buy them as a decorative potted plant in our area. I've never been able to get one to come back in my garden just planting in the ground although it's supposed to be hardy in our zone, I think our late winter ice storms do them in. Maybe a birdie was just spreading the love and dropped it there lol. I didn't touch it, but I wonder if I took one of the dried black things and tried to save a seed? tkhooper, it does look very much like something in a haunted garden doesn't it? :D Netty, purpleinopp, tkhooper, ty kindly. I appreciate it so much!

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't think anyone would mind if you removed one of the seed pods catgirl. As long as you're not pulling up the whole plant or removing all the seeds then it should be OK. Hopefully they will sprout for you and we'll all get to see the results you get.[/i]

purpleinopp likes this.
  8. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

Those seed pods do remind me of our hardy hibiscus, but the leaves don't. That is interesting.

purpleinopp likes this.
  9. purpleinopp

Hibiscus is a confusing bunch because most people don't realize some of the most popular ones are Hibiscus, like Rose of Sharon, H. syriacus - hardy to about Z5, and this one:
    http://www.americanmeadows.com/perennia ... y-hibiscus

Probably not hardy in colder parts of NC, but confederate rose is another somewhat hardy Hibiscus, H. mutabilis.

I think there's at least one other hardy kind, but never did figure out what it was. I used to see some huge untended patches of it (or some similar mallow relative) in E-central OH, around Newark. That would be Z5.

Henry Johnson likes this.
  10. purpleinopp

Thank you, Henry!

11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

See the word Plants above here, just under our GardenStew logo, click on that and enter Hibiscus into the search block. You will come up with information and photos of several different species and cultivars.

Hibiscus moscheutos 'Lady Baltimore' (Hardy Hibiscus) and several other cultivars of this species are hardy from zone 5-11. They are perennials, dying to the ground in winter but coming back in Spring. Since they are more hot weather plants, they are one of the last plants to show signs of life in Spring so you have to give them time before declaring them dead.

Hibiscus rosa-sinensis (Chinese Hibiscus) is a Tropical Hibiscus that is a perennial in zones 9-11 but considered an annual if grown out side any further north. They can be taken inside for the winter.

Hibiscus coccineus 'Alba' (White Texas Star Hibiscus) is another hardy one from zones 6-11.

Hibiscus lunariifolius

Hibiscus acetosella 'Red Shield' (Red Leaf Hibicus, False Roselle) hardy zones 8-11.

Hibiscus syriacus (Rose of Sharon, Rose of Althea) is hardy zone 5-11

purpleinopp likes this.