Dying Peace Lily

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by nilbert, Dec 26, 2016.

1. nilbert

nilbert New Seed

I have a dying peace lily that's drooping very low. When I bought it, after a few days, it was already slightly sagging. I put it in a place with filtered light and I water it once or twice a week, but we just went on vacation for a week and we didn't water it. When we left it was slightly drooping, so we watered it, and now we came back and it can't even hold its own weight, and the leaves are dragging on the floor. I really don't want it to die, although it seems like it might be too late to save it. Just wondering if there's anything I can do to possibly revive it?
    Here's and image of a dying peace lily very similar to mine-[​IMG]
    Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2016
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm afraid your photograph isn't showing nilbert. I hope you can post it again as a picture helps us to help you much more than anything else.

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Too much water is a common cause of death for these plants. Try dividing the plant and re-pot in two containers then just water minimally at that time and not again until soil is almost dry. They are drought tolerant but do not do well in wet soil.

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Usually they will look like that but perk up after watering. How long has yours looked that way ? Another problem for these plants is potting soil that either has too much water or not enough and nothing in the middle. If you re-pot add about 50% good compost to the potting soil and make sure the pot is large enough for the plant.
    Take yours out of the pot and examine the roots.
    Would help a lot if we could see your plant. The pic you posted looks like a healthy plant that just needs a drink.

6. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

That looks exactly he way my peace lily looks when it needs water.

OK is your plant planted directly in the ceramic pot? Or is there a secondary plastic pot that's inside the decorative one?

If it's the latter, take out the plastic pot, put it in the sink, and slowly spray the leaves and the soil with water. I'm talking completely saturate the soil (assuming of course that there are drain holes in the plastic pot. ) Spray the water over every bit of the soil surface that you can find, and let it thoroughly soak and then drain, and then put it back in the decorative pot.

If it's the former, then it's just not getting enough water, period. It's thirsty so however much you've been watering it, it's not enough. At LEAST double the amount. Wait a day. If it still hasn't perked up, give it that much again. I don't see any discoloration on the leaves, don't see any signs at all that it's an unhealthy plant, it just looks WAY thirsty!!!