Early Bloomer

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, I never thought that I would be unhappy to see flowering plants in the garden. I am surprised to see some blooming plants now that ought to be blooming later on in the year..like NEXT year.
    lente3.jpg
    Calendula

lente2.jpg
    Melandrium rubrum

Lente4.jpg
    Limnanthes

lente.jpg
    Brem (Broom)

lente5.jpg
    Galanthus

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2015
    carolyn, Frank, Donna S and 1 other person like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I know just what you mean Sjoerd. I have so many plants beginning to, or that are in, flower now. It's all very worrying isn't it? I even saw a sparrow today collecting feathers for nesting!!

4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Pretty blossoms, but oh my...

5. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Very pretty Sjoerd. Plants and animals are confused. I hope we don't lose every thing when winter does decide to show up.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes EILEEN-- It is really worrying to me. Sparrows gathering nesting material...fancy THAT!

CAYUGA--Glad that you liked the blossoms, but it is so very worrying to me.

I'm with you DONNA--I have my fingers crossed.

7. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We have been having very warm weather for our area . Some places the grass was still green. But, this afternoon it started to snow and the wind started to blow. We are supposed to get 5 to 9 inches of snow with drifts from 4 to 6 feet in places. I think we will be staying home for awhile. It's upper 20's now instead of low 40's. dooley

8. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

The poor fellows are confused. I feel pretty sorry for them as it's very likely a cold snap is going to come soon.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Sounds like you are in for a weather change, DOOLEY. Batten down the hatches.

I know FRANK--I have this feeling that the weather could just switch from one moment to the next. The temps here are not all that warm OR cold...but with the strong wind a-blowin' it really feels cold outside.

10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Just like Dooley we finally got some snow accumulations, all depends on what weather station you listen to for the amounts...some said 9 and others more for our area.

Sjoerd...I understand you completely about plants flowering at the wrong times....I was glad to get ground cover for my plants but now I have to worry about the voles chewing on them or eating my bulbs. What comes up next year in my flower beds all depends on what is left....

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I know I am okay with the warmer temps compared to last year... when the average daily temperature in Feb was 14f. I am not seeing too much in the way of abnormal growth here, but I am glad I didn't start my bulb pots in the Fall. I need to get that done now

12. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Oh my, even if they're too early they're very pretty. Or it might be that I appreciate them more since they're out of season. I do hope your blooms will come to their senses and wait a bit longer before starting their full display.

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I hear what you are saying, SHERRY--I have had to take some special measures also this year to protect against the voles and other bulb-eaters.

Well C-- get those bulbs planted then. I am always curious what sort of weather you will have and what the effect will be on your market crops.

Thanks DROOPY--Everything here is sorta "wait n' see". Like you said, there's nuffink I can do about it.