Eastern Redbud Tree that does not bloom - need help

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by vera, May 12, 2011.

1. vera

vera New Seed

Happy spring to all who might read this note.
    I planted two Eastern Redbud trees in my front yard 2 years ago. It is growing fine and the leaves were of a huge heart shape last year. But it never bloomed - nor last year, neither this year. The leaves are coming back though. I am quite disappointed and do not know what could be wrong with the trees.
    If you have an idea of what might be causing the problem, would you kindly send me a note. I really appreciate any help on this mystery.
    Thank you so much.
    Vera

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Bruski
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Chele
      Replies:
      Views:

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Vera... can you tell us which zone you're in? Do you have any photos to show?

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Eastern Redbuds are an under story tree. they favor light shade and like rich soil such as river bottoms and stream banks. they are known to be short lived but will grow rapidly in favorable conditions. Maybe yours need more moisture and richer soil. I don't do anything special to my tree and it is usually nice every year. It's on the east side of the woods, so it's fairly sheltered and we have an abundance of ground water here. Did you plant your tree in soil or sub-soil? If you live in a fairly new house, most likely the top soil was stripped off and you were left with only sub-soil. You could try adding compost to the area where the trees are planted and a soaker hose with mulch on top of it to help keep it a little moister. hope this helps some.

5. vera

vera New Seed

Hi Cheryl,
    I live in Southeast Michigan, which I believe is zone 5.

Hi Carolyn,
    Oh, my trees are in front of the house facing East. They take a lot of sun all day and the soil is not very rich nor moist. They have grown fast and the leaves are beautiful. I can water them more often and also add some humus manure on the surrounding area, plus top it with lots of mulch as you mentioned.
    Would it be best if I relocate them? or that would hurt them now?

Thank you both for your precious time in helping me.

By the way, my neighboor just planted a redbud tree in front of her house and hers is blooming. Same soil conditions, I think. Just not sure that hers is an Eastern redbud tree since the leaves are much smaller. I am very puzzled and sad not to see the flowers in mine.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi Vera, Now is not the time to move them. Once they are leafed out or there are flowers on the tree you have to leave it where it is. Try adding the humus or compost and ample moisture, although that probably hasn't been an issue so far. Make sure during the summer it has moisture available to soak up, as much as it can. this will also be the time it makes the flower buds for next year. If you need to prune it now is the time for that. Don't prune these in late summer or all of next years flower buds will be cut off. You could try some bloom booster fertilizer a few times during the summer. Next year is when you would see any results though, so be patient. How old is your tree? Is there a possibility that it is too immature to bloom?

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Vera, could you post a picture of the tree and a close up of the leaves? If you can get a picture of your neighbors, also, just to see if she has the same or is a totally different tree. Crabapples are out now and you could be comparing two different trees

8. vera

vera New Seed

my tree was very young when I received it. about 2 feet tall. I would say it is now about 6 feet tall. The leaves are large hearted shape and the tree seems to be healthy looking at the beautiful leaves it has.
    it is indeed an Eastern red bud tree. My neighbor's tree is also a red bud tree, although she planted it last year, it was already 7 foot tall. Probably older than mine.
    I will wait till next year and see if the blooms will finally show up and make me happy about it!!
    It is too late to move them as you say and also I will keep it as moist as possible.
    I will look for the bloom fertilizer (???) to see it it helps for next year.
    Thank you both for taking the time to talk about this subject with me.
    Have a wonderful summer!
    Vera
    :stew2: