Edamame aka Soya Beans

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by KK Ng, Sep 20, 2012.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

I was in the Japanese section of a supermarket looking for udon when I saw the edamame. I used to eat lots of these bean when I was working and had not eaten them since ..... a real long time ago...sigh!!!

The last time I planted these beans was also a long time. It wasn't successful because I did not pay much attention to it and I did not know how. This time I did some research on it and I think that I should be able to, so I am going to try it again.

Has anyone else planted soya beans before?

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

I have not tried them but they are a big commercial crop in Texas now !!

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have never planted them either but I have been thinking about buying a bag of frozen sometime just to see what they taste like.

Silk Soy Milk is produced in Dallas so they probably get the Edamame from local growers.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

They are grown here as a field crop, but not as a fresh market crop. They look like a lot of piddly work for a few servings....kind of like lima beans....maybe if I had them fresh I would think they were worth the effort. Maybe next year I'll try to get a few in just to try them.

6. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Went to the seed shop and was told that they had never had any request before for soy seeds. They told me to get if from the supermart or grocer, just ask for soy beans.

Mart you are right that it is a big commercial crop and it is not planted in this country.

Toni soy milk is delicious when drunk cold. Becky make it from those dried beans whenever we feel like drinking it. It is easily available here but nothing like fresh homemade soy milk ... yummy!!!

Carolyn, I have not really done it before and moreover it is just for fun. I am not sure whether it is worth the time or not until I get those beans into my tummy :D

Going to get those seeds/beans tomorrow!!! :-D