Electrical Horticulture - Boosting Yields!

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by S-H, Aug 17, 2023.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

This is something very interesting I just read. So sharing it with everyone here - I too often wondered about this a lot. As I could clearly see a difference between how plants were growing under a high tension power line above. In comparison to plants just a few hundred feet away.

This article is long, but please do make the time to read it. Because this technology also is helpful when it comes to geminating of very stubborn seeds.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20230816-the-farmers-boosting-crops-with-electricity

This also in a way might tackle the problem plants and trees experience in a zero gravity environment. As electricity can make the roots find a direction. Which they otherwise can't in the absence of gravity. So this could also mean food cultivation in space someday!

IMG_20230817_120026.jpg
    IMG_20230817_121251.jpg

2. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

I am lost in space on this one. I do have a battery charger, a generator and hope to buy an electric fence charger to irritate this damned horse that eats my roses that I unknowingly planted too close to her fence. The day I attached any of that to plants in my garden may well be the same day my wife moves out. She is suspicious enough already so I have to leave it to you.

3. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Migardener put out a video several months ago. Kind of along the same lines.

In case you haven't noticed I watch him a lot. He was my go to when I first moved to this state and started a garden. He's only a Great Lake away was my reasoning.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  4. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

I have read several articles about using low levels of electricity in small doses in gardens.
    Here’s another quick explanation about how Electric culture Works and how to implement the technique in local gardens.

5. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

I'm very skeptical. Then again, I've been skeptical about things that turned out to be useful.

For some reason, this reminds me of the movie "The Road To Wellville". One of the therapies that was used at a dubious health sanitarium, involved electrical currents. I think it's one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. But then, my sense of humor is kind of unusual.

The movie is connected, very loosely, to the true story that included the invention of Kellogg's Corn Flakes.

https://www.history.com/news/dr-john-kellogg-cereal-wellness-wacky-sanitarium-treatments

They applied electrical currents to eyeballs!