Excited to meet everyone!

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by Venus414, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Venus414

Venus414 New Seed

Hi all,

I'm Venus. My husband I (married for four months!) recently moved to Jersey City, NJ (zone 6) after many years in NYC. My one request in our apartment search was that we have a balcony big enough for some container gardening. We found a great place and now I am plotting what to do in the spring (I have a million ideas on my pinterest if any of you are on there!).

I don't have many (ok, any) gardening friends, so I'm happy to join this community.

My first foray into gardening was a few months ago, when we chose beautiful rosette succulents in little gold glass pots for our favors. We kept five of these little ones for us, and they did well in our NYC apartment but REALLY seemed to thrive in our south-facing windows here in our new place. A few weeks ago, though, I noticed three of the plants were going downhill and started researching what to do. Online guides led me to remove the plants, check out the roots/stems and tentatively hypothesize that they were suffering from root rot. A few nights ago I followed the instructions to behead some of the healthy portions and leaves and dry them out a bit; tonight I'm going to repot them in a gritty mix (Bonsai Jack) in a pot with drainage holes. I may post and ask for help with this later! Really want to save these pretty succulents from our wedding.

Aside from that, I'd really like to grow aloe vera, gerbera daisies, peppermint, veggies, wildflowers and ferns (and more). My hubby suffers from migraines, so I'll be researching plants that might help with that, too.

Looking forward to getting to know folks!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2016
  2. Loading...

3. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Welcome from west coast Canada Venus414!! :) :) :)

Venus414 likes this.
  4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Venus and a warm welcome to GardenStew :hi: Your introduction was very interesting. Glad you got the balcony space you needed. Feel free to let us know any questions you have, we just love to help.

Venus414 likes this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Venus it's really good to have you join our worldwide family. I hope your succulents will survive - just don't be tempted to overwater them once they are re-potted. It would be a real shame to lose them as they are such pretty little plants.

WELCOME TO GARDENSTEW. :D

Venus414 likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Hey, and welcome from Nashville Tennessee! :setc_034:

Venus414 likes this.
  7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Hi Venus414 :wave:
    Welcome to GardenStew from southern Ontario!

Venus414 likes this.
  8. Venus414

Venus414 New Seed

Thanks so much for the warm welcome amidst the holidays! And Eileen, thank you for making the edit in my original post!

9. mart

mart Strong Ash

Hi there from NE Texas,welcome to the group. I have plenty of aloe if you need one !

Venus414 likes this.
  10. Venus414

Venus414 New Seed

Thank you so much, Mart - that is so kind. I would love to take you up on that and will reach out to you!

11. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Hi Venus, welcome to Gardenstew from Chelmsford MA, zone 6A. Plotting for the Spring? You will have many co-conspirators. :) Welcome aboard.

Jerry

Venus414 likes this.
  12. Venus414

Venus414 New Seed

:wobble:Thanks, Jerry! Looking forward to that!