Feeding Lilac Cuttings

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Richie Cooper, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

Hi, I'm propagating some Lilac cuttings. I have them in large paper cups and have brought them inside for the winter. Do I need to feed them anything during the winter months and if so, what? Thank you all very much for all your help getting these cuttings to grow. :-D

2. Loading...

3. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

If you used a good soil just water should be fine. Welcome to the stew asI don't think I have told you yet.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there Richie.

Lilac cuttings really shouldn't need any kind of feed durng winter months. Just water them as usual and make sure that they're kept fairly warm and they should grow well for you. Hope you're enjoying our forums as much as we enjoy your company here. :-D

5. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

Eileen, how did you learn so much??
    We can't grow lilacs in New Orleans. It's just too hot .My mother has a huge bush outside the kitchen window. It's been there as long as I can remember. She says she planted it shortly after I moved in before I was born. She is 90 now, so that makes me no spring chicken.
    Glad you're here, Richie.

Advertisement
  6. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

Thank you all for the help. 8) My Lilac bushes were getting so high that they were rotting the roof on our house. I took some cuttings and then had to cut them down. I bought them through the mail and they were just twigs.
    Well, thanks again. I really do not know much about flowers, I just love them all. I am rebuilding my 1981 corvette so if you need any help with corvettes I'll be there. :)

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Richie if my daughter lived anywhere near you she'd be in that corvette engine so fast you wouldn't see her for dust!!! She loves cars and has, in the past, virualy rebuilt old bangers she's had. She's often to be seen at scrap merchants looking for viable spare parts and will haggle with the owner of the yard better than any man could. :rolleyes: Do let us see progress pictures of the rebuild won't you? :-D

Jan It's just simply years of trial and error that's taught me about plants and what they like - nothing special at all I'm afraid.

8. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

Eileen, you certainly learned well. And yes, it is something special.

9. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Glad to have you join us .We love new members as they they teach us more than we know :)Welcome to our Stew