Filling mdf for panelling

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by Haskell, Jun 14, 2023.

1. Haskell

Haskell New Seed

Hi all any advice would be really appreciated .
    I want to create paneling as a feature wall with the ready cut packs of MDF what's the best filler to go over where you join the pieces together so at the end result you cant see where it's been joined.
    Thanks look forward to getting some experts help.

Dirtmechanic likes this.
  2. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Can you take a picture of the paneling ?

3. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

You will want to physically bond them along the edge to prevent cracking, and when primed and as smooth as possible you can use a spackle-sheetrock mud- joint compound. Those are in order of strength from weakest to strength and ease of sanding from easy to cussing. To any degree possible I would try to fill with primer even adding some sheetrock mud to the primer because it is sandable when dry. D(r)ying might take 3 days on a big place though.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2023
    marlingardener and eileen like this.
  4. Aderek

Aderek New Seed

For seamless joins in MDF panelling, consider using a high-quality, stainable wood filler or spackling compound. Apply and smooth the filler over the joints, following the instructions. Sand it down for a smooth finish. Bondo is another option for a strong and durable bond. Ensure clean edges before applying filler and wear protective gear.

Advertisement
  5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I’ve used drywall mud for a variety of projects. It’s cheap and affective. If the panels aren’t sitting flush, mud first, then tape and mud again. A drywall sanding tool is effective for a clean, smooth surface. (drywall dust will need to be cleaned up before painting.) I’ve found mud a handy thing to have around for filling nail holes, etc. before painting. Can’t beat the cost.

Pacnorwest and marlingardener like this.
  6. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Oh no! That's not a lot of time to get one's affairs in order! Frankly, if I knew I was going to die in three days, I wouldn't worry about the MDF.

Pacnorwest and Dirtmechanic like this.
  7. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

My progessive bifocals strike again!

Pacnorwest and Daniel W like this.
  8. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

I use caulking specifically designed for the job . Pop the canister in my battery op caulking gun… this tool will be the envy of Darth Vader and trigger him to order one from a big box store. Easy peasy.. assuming the paneling is hung straight.