Flower Ideas?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by yardworks1, Feb 27, 2013.

1. yardworks1

yardworks1 New Seed

Hey, new here.

Question 1:

I am looking for three or four colorful, unique flowers to pot. Something to give me experience. Any ideas?

Question 2:

In my front yard, we have two small 4' by 4' flower beds with no flowers. In the center of the bed there is a small maple tree for each bed. Any ideas for colorful perennial flowers? Wanting something for the spring.

Nick

2. Loading...

3. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Hi Nick, welcome to stew.

Will your pots be in sun or shade? Same question for the maple beds?

4. yardworks1

yardworks1 New Seed

Thank you. The pots will be in part shade. The maple beds are in full sun.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The part shade for the pots, is that morning shade or afternoon shade. That can make a difference in what plants would be best, some require morning sun/afternoon shade especially in the southern U.S. Some would be okay with a little morning shade but would have to have afternoon Sun to thrive.

Also, as the Maples grow the plants in those beds will have to change from full sun to part or full shade.
    Which side of the house are those beds on. north, south, east or west?
    North side means more sun in Summer, south side more sun in Winter. East side means morning sun/afternoon shade, west means morning shade with intense heat in the afternoon.
    Are they close to the house or out in the middle of the yard, the house will create shade too.

Advertisement
  6. purpleinopp

Your local garden center will be your best bet for having plants most accurately separated between what is a perennial in your area, vs. the true annuals and perennials too tender to survive your location's winter. Also, unless you're going to get into mail-order, some suggestions may not be found in person.

When you shop, if you're unsure about plants, write the names down and do a little research before spending your money. Looking at pics of mature examples can be quite shocking compared to the cute little potted baby they were selling. So buy and plant according to the eventual sizes although you'll probably want to get quite small plants for a bed with a tree in it. The tree will have a lot of roots in that area and although digging through some of them won't hurt the tree, if you chop through too many, you could damage the tree. When planting around trees, I let the big roots veto placement decisions. Move over an inch or two, the plant fits and root doesn't get chopped. Much easier to find places to make small holes than trying to find places where you can dig bigger holes.

I might include some little snapdragons at the base of the maple trees. Evergreen, several colors of flowers available, blooms mostly all year here, you'd want to check that with the locals.

You could include bulbs within the perennials, to pop up other flowers at different times, daffodils, various lilies, Gladiolus if you don't mind something tall. They can go under or next to the perennials, depending on the size roots and bulbs you're pairing, making your hole-digging even more rewarding.

Daylilies love tons of sun and many of them bloom for a very long time.

Cute little sweetheart roses might appeal to you.

In the pots, the possibilities are nearly limitless. Were you going to try stuff from seed or buy annual plants?

This time of year, the big pot on my front porch has pansies and snapdragons, which are fine in either full sun or part shade all winter, tons of flowers constantly since Oct, when I changed the pot from its' summer stuff to that. When it gets warmer, I'll replace those again for something that likes the heat better... something to consider for preparing a winter scheme next fall, if interested.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  7. purpleinopp

These are good points, Toni. I think we were typing at the same time. The beds may not look like they do in my imagination which, now that you ask for clarification, seems oddly detailed - fully exposed at the front of the south-facing house with a little lacy japanese maple that doesn't really block much sun... hmmm!

A pic would help keep imaginations on the right track...

8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Great advice!
    UGH! I think of all the money I've blown on "wrong" plants.
    I now carry a printout of my wish list when I go plant shopping so I know I'm getting the exact plant I'm looking for. And when in doubt... I take a photo of the tag and do my homework.

9. jennifer.f

jennifer.f New Seed

Carnation (Red), Crocus , Dog Rose are some colorful, unique flowers to pot

10. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Yes I agree look then read.And if it says FAST grower means can be invasive to your area. Learned the hard way.Take picture to nursery.They can suggest plants

11. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I agree with the above posters that your best bet is heading to a local garden center & having a discussion there. We are talking Alaska after all! (If I sound like a New Englander, it is because I am! I have never been to AK, but would love to go)

Despite my better judgement re planting advice for AK, here goes: I love using bulbs in the spring, followed by a few iris, then mid-season perennials (daylilies, etc), then the fall bloomers. I don't know how big your plot is & thus how much room you have for succession planting. Annuals can be great fillers if you have a lull in the blooming.

Something else to consider: maples are notorious for being shallow rooted. that means lots of root competition with other shallow rooted plants, like perennials & bulbs. If your maples are big trees, they can be a challenge to grow things under (a challenge, not impossible). I am hoping your trees are small Japanese maples!

Good luck with your planting & we would love to see pictures when you had made some decisions.

Frank likes this.
  12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Oops!!! I just checked your post and saw your state is AL.....Alabama, not Alaska! If I knew how to post that smiley face that turns red, I would do it now. Can you grow bulbs in Alabama?

13. purpleinopp

Yes to bulbs! Just not a lot of the ones usually grown up north. Those can need more hours of cold than what is possible down here, especially tulips. There are a whole slew of southern bulbs that remain mysterious to me after 6 years still. They're not sold in stores in spring like the other bulbs, and I guess you have to find someone who will give you some.

Daffs/Narcissus, Lycoris radiata (red lily,) Amaryllis, Crinum, Asiatic lilies, Easter lilies, Oxalis, Gladiolus, Calla lilies (these might be rhizomes,) are common in my area. I don't know if Amaryllis would grow in Wetumpka though.

Bearded Iris love to bake in the sun here, I seem to have a lot less troubles with borers here than I did in OH.

Yardworks, have you been attracted to any of the suggestions so far? I think you are in Zone 7, BTW. You'll need that info to determine which perennials are appropriate for your yard.

Frank likes this.
  14. yardworks1

yardworks1 New Seed

Thank you guys very much. Sorry for the delay in my response.

Toni, that was an excellent point. The beds are in the middle of the yard on the east side of the house. Thanks for bringing up that point because I wouldn't have thought about that at all.

Purpleinopp,those were great options and will take me a little bit to think about them and research them. I really like Snapdragons and Gladiolus. That was just what I needed. As for the pots, I think i was wanting to do both seeds and young plants, giving me a little difference in experience as I have never grown from seeds. Do you have any suggestions with growing from seeds? Also what do you think about Alliums? I checked my zone and found that I am 8a. Thought I was 7 too.

Thanks everyone! You all brought great suggestions and advice that I will be using. Sorry again for my delayed response.

Frank likes this.