Forked thread: Video Games or Other Games - anybody play?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Droopy, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Forked from The Good Morning All Thread

OK, now the cat's out of the bag. I've rolled over and confessed that I like to play video games. And Frank has also admitted to being a video game lover. And we both like the same game, despite a significant age difference. :D

Now I'm wondering if anybody else has a favourite game they like to play? If so, please tell a bit about it. I like to hear about games that might be fun for the girls, my grandchildren or me.

2. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

I am so not into video games at all. But!! My son is a Halo fanatic, and Kolbjørn is addicted to Conan the Barbarian. Before that i think it was Gladiatus or something like that. In addition to all that he has started to play something called Second City online also with a few friends of his that he met thru the Conan game. They have a rock band on there (eye roll inserted here please). My daughter is a die hard Mario nut.

3. playtime8978

playtime8978 In Flower

I Play on an internet game site and host tournaments in backgammon there thats my favourite game, the site is free for some games or you can pay for a wider choice and weekly challenges, I have met a lot of good online friends through that site and gaming league.

4. kkluv155

kkluv155 Seedling

I am such a game freak. I love PC games. Also I am almost 39 and my step-daughter is 36 and every Friday night we have a game night. I go to her house and we play on her Nintendo Wii. I love strategy and role playing games. I know, such a nerd, lol.

Advertisement
  5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Which strategy games do you like to play? My strategy game skill goes as far as Command & Conquer and Dune.

6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

My son is an avid gamer. He doesn't seem to have a favorite...he plays a game until he "beats it" and then it's on to another.
    I don't play much but when I do I like Mario :)

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Mario was the first game we got with the N64 for Amanda many, many years ago. She played it during the day, her Dad would play it after she went to bed and I stayed up really late playing it after they were both asleep.
    Amanda has at least one of every game system that has come out ...except the Xbox.....and is in at least one on-line game guild that I know of.

Sometimes I think I want to play that Mario game again but am afraid I would never get anything else done if I got started again.

8. petunia

petunia Young Pine

I'm not really into all the game systems. But do know of them, like the nintendo. The new one this year is the WII system. I'm interested in knowing who all went out and bought that new system and any feed back on it. I guess kids can actually get up and mhave to move with some of this games. such like tennis they have to swing just like they were out on the court. I'm sure their must be games there to that Frank and others like to play, but I haven't heard about them. Clue me in on this new system.

9. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

:D I'm so pleased that I'm not the only one enjoying the occasional game. :D Like toni said, I tend to overdo it a bit if I haven't played for a long time, but it quickly normalizes itself. I think it's a good way to relax and empty my brains.

10. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The Wii was very difficult to find for about a year but we got our daughter one last christmas. It comes with a sports game package...tennis, golf, bowling, etc.
    We are giving the grandsons the Wii Music game for christmas this year...you play different musical instruments using the controls.

Also, they are very popular in retirement homes, assisted living centers and senior centers of all kinds. It gives the residents arm exercise in a safe way. Most of them remember being on bowling leagues in their younger days so they really enjoy that one. You don't have to stand to play the games so those that are in wheelchairs can also play.

11. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

It's amazing that Wii first came out in Xmas 2006 and the demand is still high if not higher than back then. I've always been a Nintendo nut but this is the first console of theirs I didn't buy (yet). My friend has one with Wii Sports (mostly fun, particularly the bowling and tennis), Guitar Hero and Mario Kart Wii. To me the motion controls are a bit of a gimmick but that is because I am so used to the old-fashioned controllers. For people not familiar with gaming the controls are intuitive and fun though.

12. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

My daughter and her husband have his and her Wii systems. My son was able to get one when he was here on his leave vacation. I know i could barely get he and Kolbjørn away from the thing. I'm just waiting for the day when he decides he has to have one too! I hope its not too soon,,,lol.