Garden Expansion Coming...

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Pianolady, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

So my husband casually asked if I was attached to the groundcover underneath the birch trees. No, I am not. So he's out there removing all of it today! So I'll have a semi-shaded addition to my garden space. Then he says he wants to put a 6' fence around the entire thing to keep the deer out, with an entry gate next year. I'm immediately thinking, why not this year? We'll see. I think he's becoming quite attached to the benefits of having a garden. I guess I know where my fall Spinach will get planted.

100_6832 small.jpg

eileen likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Give that man a hug! It sounds like he is truly appreciating the home grown produce.

Pianolady likes this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hey PL, beautiful garden you have there! What are those big lumpy things growing on the right? Are they staked tomatoes? Grape vines? And what is the ground cover that you are not fond of? The 6' fence sounds wonderful!

Pianolady likes this.
  5. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

Tomatoes and peppers on the right, grow lots of those. Right now I've got beans, onions, and carrots on the left and potatoes behind. Thinking of putting peas in my small fenced area for fall, and move the spinach to the area my husband cleared out.

I don't know what the invasive perennial was out back. It was a small little green plant I bought in a tiny little pot. Variegated green leaves that ended up being 4' tall and spread everywhere. I guess I wouldn't call it ground cover, more like a weed. It's all gone now, so I can't even take a picture.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

How exciting! I wish MY hubby would get motivated to make more garden space!

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm going to show my husband your photograph in the hope that he'll become motivated enough to go out back and begin clearing up too. I'd love to have some clear space to put new plants in.