GardenStew Autumn / Winter Vent 2015 (Northern Hemisphere)

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Since it helped out last year I thought it was time for a 2015 edition of the Autumn(Fall)/Winter Venting Post :smt013 When you are feeling frustrated in your garden please come in here and share it with the community. You will feel better as result we promise!

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The only frustration I am feeling is what is forecast to be a looooong wait for Autumn temperatures to arrive so that I CAN get out and work in the garden. It's fairly pleasant in the mornings but that doesn't last long with the temp climbing back into the 90's by around noon. And no rain, it's really difficult to dig out weeds or move plants when the black clay has turned to concrete.

4. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

It's been snowing for the last few days, then Mother Nature decided to huff and puff and blow all that snow around. Our daughter missed a day of work because the roads were closed due to almost 0 visibility. Now Mother Nature has decided to drop the temperature down so we woke up to -15F (-26.11 C) ! How ever the sun is shining and the birds are really visiting our feeders. I'm going out to hang another suet block for them.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I can't complain about this winter ... YET! Mother Nature is apparently bringing us colder temperatures and snow/ice/freezing rain in the next few days. I am heading outside right now to bring in a few days worth of firewood, and I am all stocked up on food and water. We have been lucky so far this year, but I think its about to turn ugly.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We've been warmer than usual, and LOT wetter. We have had more rain this autumn and now winter than ever before. The cold front that brought all the rain today will cool us down, and we'll be having nighttime temperatures in the low 30's.
    Netty, stay safe and warm. I remember winters in upstate NY with a stocked pantry, lots of candles, and firewood stacked on the back porch. I hope your winter doesn't turn ugly.

7. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

Ahhh, a place to commiserate.
    Where to start?
    -Gophers, gophers and more gophers.
    -One half of my yard is now covered in shade due to the hulking California Pepper tree next door. This will improve as Spring and Summer approach.
    -I wont complain about the pouring rain we've had and should continue to have for several days. Our drought had really been rough.

Thanks for listening - I feel better!

8. Netty

Glad you are finally getting some much needed rain Cuatro-gatos!
    Good Thursday morning all, currently -7°C and overcast. Off to do some errands and shopping this morning, and also in search of a new coat for my son.
    He goes back to school in a few days :(
    Have a great day all!

9. toni

We are supposed to have some freezing temps next week and may a bit of sleet depending on if the rain gets here before or after the temps drop. I am very ready for the perennials to go to sleep, they look pretty sad out there and while it was warmer I was down with bad allergies I couldn't get out there to cut them back. As long as they are green and some are still blooming, I really don't want to cut them down. And I have so many things to get done inside before Spring does arrive, being outside in the garden is just not very appealing right now.

10. 102christa

102christa Seedling

From the southern hemisphere I can tell you it's MUCH to hot and our normal rain is still MIA.. We get these short cloudbursts with a lot of thunder and hail occasionally. Fingers crossed for this weekend!

11. Netty

Well, winter has finally found us here in southern Ontario! We have had quite a roller coaster getting to this point, but winter is definitely here. We have had special weather statements, weather watches, weather warnings, high winds, snow squalls, freezing rain you name it! The latest is for this afternoon ... high wind gusts with snow squalls and accumulations of another 15-25cms of snow on top of what has already fallen. Oh fun! 67 days until spring!

12. Shawchert

Shawchert In Flower

Upstate NY has had quite a warm winter which tends to be bad for us because that means cool or cold summer :( I hope not! I'll start my plants when I can but man i'm scared that they won't survive this year ; ;

13. Netty

Our winter has been mostly mild as well, with little snow. We have had periods of snow and more winterly weather, but it has been mild and snowless for the past week. Tomorrow that will all change again - there is a special weather statement in effect for most of southern Ontario and Quebec. Moist air from Texas is coming our way and will be causing a snow/freezing rain/rain event for the next 2 days. Oh Joy!

14. toni

A warm winter here means an exceptionally hot rest of the year coming up. We are having a couple of cool days with rain but it will be back into the 70-80 deg range by the weekend. We have had snow in March in the past but that was during a very cold and icy winter those years.
    If I could keep that moist air down here I would, my garden is getting the first decent rain today that it's had since January 7th. Yesterday morning there was only 3/10ths of an inch in the gauge, this morning there was a full inch and it's supposed to rain off and on all day and into tonight.

15. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I just wish I could get out into the garden again. We have had, and are having, alternate rain, snow, hail and sleet at the moment. Along with gale force winds every few days it certainly doesn't make life easy for us gardeners. I really need to repair the greenhouse, replace broken fence panels and see to the roof of our shed. Surely we're due some sunshine soon. :fingerscrossed: At least today it rose to a whole +4 degrees which makes a change from the minus ones we've had for so long.

16. toni

We have had a cool snap, not much of one though. I am going to put all the plants back outside before we leave in the morning for our weekend away trip. The forecast is for temps in the 60-75 deg range with maybe a glancing touch of 40 as a low at night and they have been cooped up inside waiting for winter, looking pretty ragged now so it's time to stick them back out.