Gerbera Daisy

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Donna S, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Has anyone collected seed and grown gerbera daisies.Advise needed.
    Thanks,
    Donna

2. Loading...

3. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I have not collected seeds.But plan on buying plants this afternoon. And would like to try and keep seeds for next year.More $$$$ in my pocket :D

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I love gerberas, but find them hard to grow. Do you have problems with powdery mildew? Mine look terrible every time I stop spraying for P.M. Do you spray? I tried growing some from seeds this year, but none came up, but I was using last years seeds, so maybe they lost their viability.

5. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I love them but have never had any luck :(

Advertisement
  6. luvdirtyhands1

luvdirtyhands1 Seedling

I just planted hot pink & bright orange Gerbera's around my lilac sapling. First time i'm trying them. They sure look georgeous! Pricey, though (3 for $10.00 ). If they do well I will most certainly collect seeds this fall.

7. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

One of my customer has many she plants. And they told her not to put lot of other plants in container.Sunny area =where air can get around plant. Another long time time customer owns grocery store.He sold me some yesterday at what he pays for them. So was very happy.

8. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

I just started growing the gerberas last year and had success because it was already potted...lol. I overwintered it and one survived. This was last week. Kept the tag and all..So happy it came back!

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from hummerbum's Garden )

Frank likes this.
  9. gsdruth

gsdruth New Seed

Gerber Daisy

Was glad to see the forum on gerber daisy. I bought two small gerber daisies last spring and they grew and bloomed beautifully. This year they came up again; however there are NO BLOOMS! The plants have grown huge with big heavy leaves but not a single bloom on either plant! I'm fertilzing and they are getting good sun so I can't figure out what's wrong.

Suggestions please!!!

p.s.) The problem with my knockout rose brush not blooming has been solved. My rose brush is now covered with beautiful, red rose buds!! It's simply beautiful. Thanks guys for all the advise!

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I had a bloom go to seed on my gerbera, so I put the seeds in a tray and put them in the greenhouse...We'll see IF they germinate. I did not count how many seeds were there, I would estimate easily there were 15-20 seeds. I have never had them go to seed and pop up in the flower bed though. The plant also had a few spots of Powdery Mildew on it, so I am hoping this doesn't affect the viability of the seeds. Other wise I will try it again as soon as there is a new batch of seeds ready.

gdsruth, I have no idea why your GD isn't blooming, but what kind of fertilizer are you using? A 20-20-20 will give you good foliage growth, but I don't see a lot of blooms with it, I would suggest a bloom builder fertilizer (one with a high middle number or one that says bloom builder on the label) if you aren't using it already. I have a HUGE problem with powdery mildew on my gerberas, I think it is just our area, though..high humidity most of the time. So, I have to spray a lot for it. IF there is P.M. stress you may not see blooms.

11. gsdruth

gsdruth New Seed

Carolyn, I've no mildew on the leaves. Both plants look very healthy and the leaves as I said are very big and very green. I've tried just about everything on them. (High nitrogen fertilizer, fish emulsion, high prosphorous feritizer)...the leaves get bigger and bigger no blooms. I've just about resigned myself to having gerbers with beautiful green leaves and to heck with the blooms! I said the same thing about my rose brushes and then overnight they were blooming!! go figure :stew1:

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Ruth, the nitrogen will make big green leaves. The fish emulsion is really a VERY WEAK fertilizer. I don't think it will add much bloom oomph to the plant, but the high phosphorous should help. Just give them some time now, I guess.

13. gsdruth

gsdruth New Seed

It's wait and see what happens time.
    signed: "The anxious gardener" :shrug: