Getting Ready For The Runner Beans

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiyah Bunkie...great to see you again.

Yes, I always start mine inside because I feel that if I first get them to form a good root ball before planting them out, half the battle is won with the whole "transplanting trauma" phenomenon.
    Speaking of the transplanting trauma--I find that using paper pots, for instance; allows one to get those plantlets in the ground without disturbing the roots much which means that they don't put everything on hold for such a long time (usually 2-3 weeks).
    I used to use paper pots for them but have found that for my purposes, root trainers do better. I use the paper pots for many other things though. They are such a good way to "bring-up" seedlings, I believe.
    I have used EM in the past when I water my seedlings and got some tremendous root balls.
    The first year I tried it I germinated some with and some without and noticed a difference with the EM-watered seedling's root ball. I am out of it now and have just not ordered anymore.

I am going to start my runners very soon so when I do, perhaps I'll post something.
    Take care and don't stay away so long. ;)

2. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

good to see you too Sjoerd! hubby had a hernia operation and needed some tender loving care...really painful, but well on the mend now! i guess i'm a good nurse too! :D

i have just recently read about these root trainers here on rebsie's blog (second post down)...

http://daughterofthesoil.blogspot.com/

and how good they are for plants. i was thinking of test hopping some this year for our peas and beans. so you really like them sjoerd? that's great! i think i'll look into purchasing a few.

please do post some pics when you can.

i don't understand what EM is?

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks Bunkie for that link. I thoroghly enjoyed reading that woman's writing. Before I knew what I was doing, I had read and read and read. I found her style charming and in a way scientific at the same time.
    I read about that pea that she is developing and quite liked how she sprinkled bits of genetic terminology to give the piece a credible tone.

Her evaluation of the root trainers I found accurate and valid, as I had grown the same veg and and used them in the same way. She was spot on, as far as I am concerned.
    Those root trainers are not for everyone and not for every plant, as she said--but for things like peas, beans and sweetcorn, I find them unmatched in producing a high germination rate and a strong and hardy plantlet for planting out.
    It really is easy to see that whoever thought -up this thing really did indeed know what they were doing.

Sorry toi hear about your man and his hernia op. was that an inguinal hernia or one at some point of the spine? Neither are fun to have...or have repaired for that matter.

To find out about EM (Effective Microorganisms), look here,
    http://www.volkstuindersvereniginghoorn ... age18.html
    (scroll down until you see the article)
    or google for lots and lots of other sources.
    It's fun to try new things sometimes.

4. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

sjoerd, it was a hernia in the groin area. very painful, but so much better now. he was supposed to have the operation three years ago, but we could never get a good time for it. he probably will be acting like he's three years younger when he completely heals!!! :D

thanks for the info on the EM. i should've known it would be on your blog! it sounds really interesting stuff. i'm going to have to google more about it.

have you heard of 'forcing' green beans? check out this great blog, about 3 posts down. fascinating, growing green beans under lights through the winter months! there are two specific beans deborah tried, 'French Forcing' and 'Triomphe de Farcy'. i'm going to trade some seed with her and try the 'French Forcing' this next winter...

http://upnorthbynorthwest.wordpress.com/

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks for that interesting link, Bunkie. I have never grown beans indoors during the winter. It's pretty exciting knowing that it can be done, though.
    You really must keep in touch with commentary and fotos during your trial.

Hope that your hubby will be fully recovered very soon. Three years sounds like a long time to wait for a repair. Glad it's done now. You'd better start taking vitimen suppliments now to be ready to try and keep up with him once he is back to normal. :)