Gnome question

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by devonpete, Jan 19, 2007.

1. devonpete

devonpete Seedling

Is this solid evidence that gnomes do, in fact, have miniature humans tucked away in their gardens?
    [​IMG]
    Pete.

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Ssssh Pete, you'll give away the gnome secret :eek:

(Just so you know the miniature humans also have miniature gnomes too)

4. devonpete

devonpete Seedling

Oooooooops. Sorry. :oops:
    Pete.

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Phew that was a close one!

BTW Pete another great model :smt023: How do you plan out your models, plans etc...?

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Too late Frank the secret is out!! :-D So...just who have you miniaturised and given a home to? With a house like that I wouldn't mind if it was me. 8)

7. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

I love your houses

8. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

I love your model houses, etc., Pete. You are a true renaissance man.

9. devonpete

devonpete Seedling

The problem with clients of gnomadic orientation, once their elusiveness has been thwarted, is the airy fairyness of their requirements.
    Also the fact that you can't see them sitting on the other side of your desk when discussing plans and materials, and realise that you've been holding a conversation with yourself for the last half hour, as they had sneeked out some time ago when the price was mentioned.
    They can sometimes be quite devious, trying to specify all the mod cons that we enjoy. But even if they do enter the office, five wobbling on each other's shoulders under the cover of a human sized overcoat, their identity is dashed as soon as the request for a hazel twig and primrose extension is made.
    I much prefer to cater for their (shhhh) smaller gnumans, of which I have to say I can only go by heresay that they actually exist. But I'm sure they do. The architecture involved is far more traditional, and much like our own, but just a lot smaller.
    A rough sketch is drawn up initially, but the design can change, often becoming more complicated as the work progresses. Good quality weatherproof plywood forms the carcase, and onto this is usually applied a mix of PVA and sand to get a rendered effect, which is then painted with primer and masonry paint. If left plain, the ply is painted with primer, undercoat and top coat.
    For roof tiling, lino floor tiles are cut into single tiles and glued on. The whole roof is then given a coat or two of masonry paint to seal them all together, and allow rainwater to run off more quickly.
    Gnumans aren't too worried about the interior of their home, and are quite prepared to share it with spiders and the like.
    The finished item is then sited in a hit or miss fashion. Either they'll stumble across it and take up residence, or it can just sit there for years without any sign of use. But the thing about gnumans is that they're very tidy, and never leave any trace of having been there. Or are they, even as we speak, hiding just inches away from our snipping and pruning?
    Pete (with the help of a scotch). :sete_055:

10. Desert Rat

Desert Rat The Dusty Blogger

Very nice, Pete. Complex and interesting writing. Houses, photography, painting, trains and great writing style. Who knows what next. A man for all seasons and a worthy addition to Stews collection of worthy eccentrics. Bravo!
    dr

11. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Great info Pete, I think I will attract a gnome or two to my gardens bc I know a couple of humans I hope they will miniaturize.

12. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sooooo glad you joined the rest of us here at the Stew Pete. After reading that last post of yours I just know you're one of us now!!! :D

13. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Thanks for the info Pete!! I love your houses!! Your quite a talented person!! You are truly Stew material!!lol!!

14. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Question for Pete>......

I have 3 Gnomes.......
    Now what do Gnomes do in the winter?

My sneaky lil buggers are setting here in a corner hiding amongst my house plants. Can you beat that?

They don't have a house...........do they send christmas presents to one another?
    :p :) :)

Thanks,

bsewnsew

15. devonpete

devonpete Seedling

I guess many gnomes are homeless (ahhhhhhhh) due to the fact that they get booted out by members of the animal world, like rats, weavels and stoats, just when they've finished furnishing the place with toadstool seats and coffee tables.
    By the way, for anyone who still doesn't know the difference between a weasel and a stoat, a weasel is weasely distinguished, and a stoat is stoatally different.
    Your gnomes are probably better off warm among your house plants anyway.
    As for Christmas presents, I shouldn't think so. This is just a guess...though I could be proved wrong (and knowing this lot probably will be.) :D
    Pete

16. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Pete.......

:eek:

(Under Scotch)........your alright.........
    LOL..
    Gnomes aren't homeless in my country..I have more than 3 ....Mom and dad on a swing....Knome sleeping under a flower..(Bird bath)......One small lazy one .
    Their the only garden things my man allows here.
    PS>....he isn't under scotch..(Irish :-D :-D :-D )
    DO they show photos on here?
    Show us those animals..

tee hee
    bsewnsew