Good herbs for beginners?

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by Herbgardener1992, Oct 11, 2009.

1. TooManyWeeds87

TooManyWeeds87 Seedling

I'm growing my first herb garden this year and learning a lot already.

I was amazed that thyme sprouted in just five days, and the seedlings have been going strong under lamps for three now. It's been eight for the rest of the herbs and still no seedlings, cilantro, parsley, basil, anise, oregano. A lot of the seeds were so tiny, like the oregano. It also said on the packet to just cover them lightly. I'm afraid of the soil drying out now.

Earlier I had tried to grow sage, but all of the seedlings died, it was very sad. I do not know what I did wrong. :(

2. flowingwaters

flowingwaters New Seed

Wow, thanks for all the info. You definitely answered that question with great detail. Thanks for sharing!

3. SanDiegoLarry

SanDiegoLarry New Seed

I find that mint and chives are very easy herbs to grow just about anywhere. Amazingly, I have had good luck with both back in Connecticut as well as here in San Diego. Very few plants grow really well in both of those climates. Some plants survive in both climates, but mint and chives thrive. I do go for a part shade for all my herbs here in SD, whereas it was full sun for my Connecticut herb bed.