Ground cherries?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by marlingardener, Jan 10, 2011.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I received a free packet of "ground cherry" seeds with a seed order. I've never grown these, nor even heard of them before.
    Can someone please tell me a bit about them? I did a web search and found that they are annual, like moist soil, and have a citrus flavor. If any of you have experience with these, please share it. I'd like to plant them and see what they are like, but I really need help here!

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Did the info include which of the Physalis species it is? There are several different ones. Only thing I know is that they are in the Tomato family, there are some species that are perennial and like full sun with hot temps.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

No information on which physalis the seeds are. In fact, I didn't know they were physalis until I saw a description on the 'net, and that they are related to tomatillos. Perhaps the same growing conditions for tomatillos will work for these also?

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

I grew a few last year with tomatillos. They have a pretty good flavor but mine didn`t make enough to actually tell how they would taste as canned or in a pie. a bit like a cross between an apple and something in the citrus family but couldn`t tell what.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni,
    I just found out that my seeds are Physalis pruinosa. Took me a few days, but I chased them down! I still don't know if they will do well for me, but I'm going to give it a try.
    Any and all information on these things will be greatly appreciated!

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Ground cherries enjoy full sun, fairly warm (but not hot) temperatures. They need protection from frost though. In areas where you get frosts or freezes the plants are easily grown as annuals.
    Provide lots of water throughout the growing year except towards fruit ripening time as the fruits can split.
    Physalis pruinosa grow in most soil types and will do very well in poor soils or in pots.
    The plants are susceptible to many of the same diseases and pests as tomatoes.

8. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Hold on a bit, when I hear Physalis I think gooseberries. Oh yea, think-think- they are related to the tomato family (Solanaceae) I did not know that they are also called tomatillos.

I am sure it will work for you. I have a gooseberry plant here every year that I seriously have to thin out, else it takes over the yard. (Incidently I do not know exactly which species or variety or indeed which hybrid, I just know they taste great.) :D

9. Bodhi

Bodhi Seedling

Hi Marlin,
    i have frequently ordered seed from Tradewinds, and they have many species of physalis pictured, as well as information on their growth/habits. here is link to the 'P' section, scroll about halfway down page. They have other links listed with the various species for individual care. Photos too. Hope this will help. :)
    http://www.tradewindsfruitstore.com/ser ... Categories

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

OH, thank you for the link! Not only did I find out more about my ground cherries, but I also found some other seeds that I'd been looking for. If Red Gate Farm goes bankrupt, we'll know who to blame!
    That is a great site with good information. Thanks again!

11. Bodhi

Bodhi Seedling

You're welcome. I've ordered from them many times, always with success in germination rates. They are stingy about answering emails, but no other problems with them. :)
    Edit: Did you notice the 'Buy 7.50 worth, and get FREE shipping.' Love that part!