Gulls.

Discussion in 'Bird' started by Sydney Smith, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. Threw some bread onto garage roof - these gulls as always spotted it and were down in an instant FXCD0001-003.JPG FXCD0002-002.JPG FXCD0003-002.JPG FXCD0004-001.JPG FXCD0006-001.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2015
    Frank likes this.
  2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

A simple idea Syd but really affective for some great shots. My favourites are the second and fourth shots. :)

3. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hio Eileen. Those pics were taken at last property - being nearer to the sea there (although with Gulls that matterrs not - can see them in Trafalgar Square) there was many more about. Where we are now we do see them but nowhere near as much. What always amazed me was A. How they managed to spot what was happening from such a great height and B. How within a couple of minutes did so many manage to appear - must have tremendously good eye sight or their jungle telegraph was very good - thats apart from empty tummies. I actually once sat for at least half an hour with camera in hand next the River Colne watching a Gull attempting to swallow a really large fish ( even for them) and it just did not give up - just tried over and over again - I left it to it - whether its succeeded I know not - my guess is it did - very determined birds are gulls
    I loved to watch their actions and aerobatics - looked like they could turn on a sixpence. Another I liked to watch working/fishing is the Cormorant - saw plenty on the Colne but also inland on a lake well stocked with fish - here they flew onto branches and spread their wings to dry. Did have some good pics but not now. Syd.

4. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

P1010038.JPG P1010040.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2015

Advertisement
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I loved those gulls at sunset and would have stood there watching them for ages if I'd been with you.

That flock of Black Headed gulls look as though they're waiting for fishing boats to come in for a free feast. I didn't count each one but there's more than a hundred there I'm sure.

6. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

ya gotta know a guy with a nick name of "Cappy" is bound to have hundreds of sea gul pictures I am very sorry for hyjacking this thread but yall singing my tune. Sorry the sound is so loud on the video, I was standing too close to the mic,

7. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Cappy. Good pics those and confirm that Gulls will if theres is or if there is going to be grub about congregate in large numbers - do recall my earlier comment in another post ref the Gulls daily visit to the green area to eat the frying fish pieces and batter etc from the Chippies.
    Another occasion we see a lot of them together is when fields are being ploughed - always masses of them following the tractor. Syd.

2007_10040009.JPG 2007_10040010.JPG 2007_10130036.JPG 2007_10130037.JPG

- 2007_05060004.JPG Masses of Gulls ?? - ME I AM DIFFERENT --- JUST CANNOT STAND THOSE CROWDS!!!.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2015