H*** has well and truly frozen over.....

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by toni, Jan 6, 2017.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

North Central Texas has snow on the ground and still falling. Large fluffy, gorgeous, beautiful flakes and lots of them. Streets are still too warm for icy problems, they haven't been cooler than 85 degrees since early May so it will take a lot more than this small event to cool them down much but the overpasses might be a bit icy this evening and tomorrow. But then the temp will be in the 40's tomorrow so by then it will be only a very pleasant memory.

This might well be our only wintery precipitation this year but I can dream while it's here.
    My mental attitude has made a 180 degree turn since it started too.

SNOW.JPG

FloraPie and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Yay! We've had some here too. Nashville doesn't routinely get snow, but when it does it's like the city just goes into panic mode. Folks don't know how to deal with it.

I'm glad you're not unhappy with the precip!

4. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Well, it was colder than a witches boob in a brass bra here today. Gonna be colder tomorrow. Working outside in this weather......uhhhmmmm.....sucks! That is putting it mildly!. The weather weanies say 0 to 3 below 0 Fahrenheit when I leave for work in the morning. Had snow yesterday, all the crayon eaters were out showing off their lack of driving ability too. Enjoy it while you can Toni, The days are beginning to lengthen.

Looking at your photo, I noticed that no one appears to have a garage. Is that normal for the Dallas metro?

5. toni

There were attached garages when the houses were built in 1967 but over time most have been enclosed and become additional bedrooms or an expanded livingroom....the houses were less than 1000 sq feet in the beginning. So now very few of them actually have functioning garage.

Advertisement
  6. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Snow blew about here all day today :( Getting tired of the white stuff.

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

Enjoy it quickly Toni,,,It will be back in the 70`s by Tuesday. We have a light dusting of snow too.

8. toni

Yeah, Tuesday I will be out working in the yard in shorts and a t-shirt dreaming of the white beauty that was.:(

9. LIcenter

LIcenter In Flower

The snow you got is building in strength, and headed my way today. Possible 4-8 inches forecast. By Wednesday we will be in the 50°F range.

10. mart

mart Strong Ash

Was a bit nippy this morning !! Fed the horses about 7:30 and it was 11 degrees ! Was 9 degrees when I woke up. We rarely get colder than mid 20`s and then it doesn`t last but a day or two.

11. toni

Mart was your area hit by the winter blast in Dec 1983? We had 19 consecutive days below freezing with snow and ice on the ground and streets for the duration. And in Dec 1989 we had 21 days below freezing, my Blaze Climbing rose froze down below the graft point and came back white the next year, white and red the year after that, then converted and has been red since then.
    Or am I just way older enough to have remembered those years :eek:

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We got above freezing today, but not by much. I took warm water out for the wild birds, brought the other water station in to thaw, and by the time it had thawed we had temps in the low 30's. We've been fortunate in that it is only cold, with no precipitation of any kind to freeze and make roads dangerous.
    Three days below freezing is enough, thank you. I'm looking forward to Monday when we will have daytime 40's, and then it's all better from there!

13. mart

mart Strong Ash

Oh yes Toni I am quite old enough.. But I couldn`t tell you what the weather was those years. Memory isn`t that good. I have been in this area since 1971 and about every 7 or 8 years we get a good freeze with either ice or snow. Most years our area tends to be very moderate with about three to 4 weeks or less of below freezing temps and not all at once !

14. toni

I was wondering if your weather was the same as ours or not. I was born in Dallas in '46 and lived in this area all but about 8 years in the very early 70's....and I am sort of a weather history nut :nerdy: so I tend to remember the good stuff like snow and ice. I also remember the summer of 1980 which was definitely no relation what so ever to the good stuff.

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Burrrrrrrrr---your garden looks exactly like mine at the moment.

16. LIcenter

LIcenter In Flower

I remember the snow of 83. Cars were stranded all over the place. The Long Island Expressway was closed in both directions from the city line all the way out to the end in Riverhead. I had a 68 FWD Chevy 1/2 ton with a plow on it. In one day I made over $1000,00 just clearing driveways. FWD's were in such high demand after that, I sold it for twice what I paid. The next winter we got no snow to speak of, so I did alright.
    All in all we got just under 12 inches of light fluffy stuff yesterday. Right now the sun is shining brightly, and the temp is 15°F. I'll post some pics later, after I finish cleaning up the driveway.