hardware Q?

Discussion in 'Garden Junk' started by AAnightowl, Dec 22, 2023.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I got hold of one mini blind the other day from the Community Center. They are about new, but no hardware was in the box. oDS thinks someone bought them merely for the hardware? Maybe. The local lumberyard does not sell mounting hardware for them, it only sells the blinds. I looked on eBay, the hardware is about the same price as another set of blinds. I have a lot of odds-n-ends around, maybe I could improvise some hardware to mount the blinds? Does anyone have any ideas how to improvise 2 mounting brackets with something else?

I was thinking of mounting the blind on a window that faces the road for a bit more privacy.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. AAnightowl
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

You might try amazon, I have ordered hardware for several projects. You have to have an idea of what you need, then scan thru the selections.

Jerry

AAnightowl likes this.
  4. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

What company made the mini blinds if possible is there a stamp or name printed on the blinds usually on the top or bottom header, by the manufacturer. If so maybe it could be possible to contact the manufacturer .

In my experience with mini blinds there are several different styles of mini blinds and several different types of brackets. Also many big box stores carry a variety of mini blinds and have mounting brackets available. Can you include a picture?

Do you know if the blinds were measured for inside or outside mount? What type are you asking about? Mini Duette, or mini wooden? Mini Plastic levelor blinds? They all have different headers and hardware for inside or outside mount.

If all else fails and big box stores don’t have something for mounting them , is it possible to run screws up thru the top of the header for inside mount into the top of the window wooden frame or frame stud. For outside mount run screws thru the outermost side of the blind header into the studs of the wall at the top of the outer window. I have done that on a few of mine when the brackets fail to hold the blinds after a few years. Some mounting brackets are plastic others are thin metals. Nothing is made to last anymore.
    Talk about becoming blindsided…

AAnightowl likes this.
  5. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

The brand name is Maintstays. They look like Venetian blinds but smaller. I will try looking around some more. The box part is 1 inch. The slats are also 1 inch.

Advertisement
  6. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Walmart has them with free shipping for $10. Amazon charges shipping unless you spend $X. I put them in my cart for now.

7. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I just found some L brackets, maybe they will work?

I would need one of those flexible (I call them sidewinders) drill bits to drill into the frame to mount them.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  8. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Yay. The 2 L brackets work perfectly and it is mounted inside.

2 L brackets
    4 drywall screws

Since I already had the L brackets and drywall screws it was FREE.

1. mount the brackets on the window frame for inside mount.

2. set the blind on the L brackets.

3. pre-drill hole in each side of blind for a drywall screw on each side.

4. put in a drywall screw in each side in the pre-drilled hole.

Guess I will empty my cart at Walmart.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  9. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Great news it’s mounted inside and will last for quite sometime. Check off the shade hanging task .

AAnightowl likes this.