Harvesting, Processing And This, That And The Other

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hey There, GP-- Thank you so much for your nice words. I sure am sorry to hear that your onions did not turn out well this year.

I will draft off a PM to you now and we can discuss the possibilities for getting that pic of yours posted.

2. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

thanks for sharing sjoerd, its always a treat to see what your upto.

just being nosy but what is the plant with the big leaves on the left of your bush tomato photo. I'm guessing pumpkin but it seems high up for that.

I share your harvesting joy at the moment.

Did a large batch of swiss chard, sweet potato and butternut squash soup, roast cherry tomatoes, vegetable lasagne. all for the freezer. With canned peaches, raspberry jam and strawberry jam from the local produce.

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That big-leafed plant that you see is a miniature cucumber plant. It has been producing like mad!

You have been having a great harvest too, I see. Glad that you mentioned Swiss Chard--I need to harvest mine again.
    Cheers mate.

4. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Harvesting

Speaking of harvesting, I am finished for today.
    Yesterday, I took out the first planting of Bush beans because they had no blossoms. I was surprised to get 5 bags full for the freezer. Also took up the few carrots.
    Today, I picked the Runner beans, netting 3 bags full for freezer. Took up all beets. One bowl for eating and 3 bags for the freezer.
    I was able to pass on a bag of pickling type cucumbers to a neighbor, which made us very happy as it means we don't have to try to eat every blessed one. I am not complaining that we have so many. JUst happy to share at last.
    The Kale should be picked, but not today. I quit for this day.
    Himself has been canning several quarts of tomatoes most days and now has 87 tucked away. Winter isn't so frightening with food in the larder.
    There are plenty of green tomatoes and if September stays warm, they may ripen. Meanwhile, fried green tomatoes are SO delicious. Plus the green ones that get wrapped and tucked away to ripen slowly. Life is good for those who dig the earth.

Advertisement
  5. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Hi Sjoerd: I got hungry seeing all they yummy produce, and tired just thinking of all the work you had done. I think I'm going to go and take a nap. One questions thou. Did you remove all the leaves off of the tomato vines on the trellis? How does that work for the plant when you do that. I mean no leaves no food for them right? I do sucker my tom's thou. But never had heard of doing the type of pruning you do. :stew1:

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hello 'PAINS--Boy, your harvesting is going great-guns, isn't it. You are going to be all set for the winter now.

Hey, 2T2SHOES--heh heh heh, Thanks for the nice comments.
    I have removed almost all the leaves now. There are a few left but thoise can actually come off now as well, as the last of my toms are now pink or orange...so they'll make it fine.
    It works fine for the plant, as the plant gets some nourishment from the surface roots of the plant. I have topped the plant and removed all blossoms and small fruits now, so the only thing the plant has left to do is ripen it's already formed mature fruit, it doesn't have to make any more.

You wrote: "....no leaves, no food, right?".
    Tooty, the plant uses its leaves for photosynthesis. This is the process by which a plant takes CO2 from the air and converts it into sugars (most importantly) and other compounds by using the sunlight's energy. As you know, chlorophyll is instrumental in this process.

What happens in the soil between root hairs and the soil nutrients and water is another kettle of fish.

The deepest part of the root takes-up water for hydration/turgor and the more superficial roots are the ones that the tom plant feeds with.

On a microscopic level the situation looks like this, simply put--you have nutrient molecules in the soil and you have root hairs. In-between the two you have a mycorrhizal situation with the third party being a fungus, or in some cases particular micro-organisms. This fungus facilitates the ion exchange from soil to plant in this way.

Personally I find this symbiotic situation quite fascinating, but I won't go into it here. I just want to make the point that the tom plant "feeds" via the roots, not the leaves primarily. Mind you, it is possible to spray certain chemicals on leaves and the leaves will absorb it and use it, but that is something that man does, The roots are the natural way.

You realize that I do not do this heavy pruning all at once in the beginning of the plant's life cycle, right? I do careful, but liberal pruning 3-4 times in a season. The topping, blossom and small fruit removal stage is the last stage of the pruning technique.

Thanks again for your nice comments. If this waffling-on is more info than you need or want, just stop me. :)

7. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

A little knowledge goes a long way, Sjoerd thanks to your great explanation above. Another level of understanding has been locked into the gardening section of my brain :)

Just wanted to say thanks, its been working great on the toms with far fewer green ones this year.

Its also been working great on my chilli peppers, Which typically are still green at this point, but with some de-leafing. Are now turning red :stew1:

So thanks again for sharing your wealth of knowledge it really does help us new gardeners.

8. kathyd

kathyd In Flower

Oh my...what a great garden/greenhouse you have. I loved the pictures...I will have to return to this post more than once and dream a bit about someday doing the same.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hello DAN-- Say mate, do you have a new avatar? Its a good one.

It is great to hear that you are having such good success with your toms this year. You must be pretty with those peppers as well.
    I am glad that you appreciate the posts. You are welcome.

Hello KATHY-- Thank you for your nice comments. I am glad that you liked the posting this time.

10. debbieteale

debbieteale Seedling

Wow Sjoerd! I'm green just thinking about all tha fruit. Over here we're just entering spring, and just yesterday I planted out yellow squash! I've been starting out seeds all over the place and wondering where everything I want to grow could possibly fit! It's so wonderful to hear of all your successes. Maybe one day I'll get my greenhouse , and then I'll look back at this post with awe. Well done!

11. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

:-D Wow Sjoerd! You really know how to provide eye candy for the gardening soul . . . I enjoyed your post . . . the only bad thing is now I am craving fresh veggies, (and it is not even breakfast time here yet!!!) Me thinks a visit to the local farmer's market may be in order for today since my garden has about given up the ghost for 2011! :setf_020:

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thank you so much, DEBBIE--It is a good feeling knowing that spring is beginning there, as things are winding down here. I am excited for you.
    I sure hope that you can get your hands on a greenhouse at some point--it makes things much easier and secure.

Thanks for your nice words, SONG OF-- If you go to that farmers' market...post some pics, would you? :)