Has anyone tried rooting wave petunias?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Rozilla, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Rozilla

Rozilla New Seed

I bought lots of these beauties this year, and I can't for the life of me figure out why some of the pots turned leggy and spindly while some have gotten better and better. So I did that very hard thing that my reading recommends and pruned the spindly ones back (oh the pain of it all, with FLOWERS on those spindly stems!) I took the growing tips and stuck them in some potting mix. Is this gonna be yet another exercise in futility for a decent grower but lousy rooter?

2. Loading...

3. weeds n seeds

weeds n seeds Seedling

I don't grow the waves, but do the double-blossoming, cascading ones and singles from seed every year and can tell you what I've observed with petunias. When the plants get spindly, they're usually past their prime BUT drastically cutting them back, and good amounts of water plus fertilizer, WILL bring them back if seasonal time allows. Sounds like you may have purchased some older plants and some younger ones (those getting better and better) at the same time, hence the problem. It HURT but you did right cutting leggy ones back: if in full sun daily, try putting them in partial shade also. As for rooting cuttings, these plants are better started from seed (in February) or bought as young seedlings late in spring, so don't be dismayed if they don't "take".

4. Rozilla

Rozilla New Seed

Now that makes perfect sense!

I'll bet you are right about the different ages of the petunias. I never would have thought of that! I'll move them out of the full sun and see if that helps. Thanks for the info.

5. Rozilla

Rozilla New Seed

I'll be danged

These little suckers took! Have some newly blooming containers of babies and I'm just thinking this is way more fun than it should be.

Advertisement
  6. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Cool beans! 8) Good for you! I didn't think petunias would root from cuttings :shrug: My little old neighbor lady piles all the tired, spent blossoms back into the pot when fall hits. She just folds all the long stems back into the middle of the pot. That way all the seeds fall back in the dirt and she has new plants in the spring. :D

7. Rozilla

Rozilla New Seed

Petunias

I didn't know they re-seeded! Now this is exciting news! I've never planted them in beds before this year, always in pots or baskets. So next year, if I remember where they are and won't think they are weeds and pull them up, I'll have petunias? Definitely going to go for it with the pots.