Help! Blossom end rot.

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by MOFishin, Jul 4, 2016.

1. MOFishin

MOFishin New Seed

Thanks to the internet, I was quickly able to diagnose my tomato problem as blossom end rot. However, most of what I saw on my google search was advice on how to PREVENT it. I need advice on how to stop it mid-season.
    Thanks in advance

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Blossom end rot is caused by the plants inability to take up Calcium....or there isn't enough Calcium in your soil. For now you can get a Calcium solution made for blossom end rot, follow the label directions.
    Overwatering, inconsistent watering, over fertilizing will cause the problem too as that prevents the plant from being able to take up the Calcium that is in the soil.
    Pick the toms you have that are affected, add some calcium to the soil and you should be able to get a good crop this season as long as the plant is healthy.
    Bone meal, lime, cleaned/dried/crushed egg shells will all add Calcium to the soil.

Also, before planting next year have your soil tested and amend with whatever is missing.

Odif, 2ofus, MOFishin and 2 others like this.
  4. LMHmedchem

LMHmedchem New Seed

For an in-season issue, a foliar spray will give faster results than a soil amendment. I use this one,

Bonide Tomato Blossom End Rot Stop ($9)
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tomato-Blossom-End-Rot-Stop/25764262

Mix at the indicated rate and spray all the leaves until the solution starts to drip off. At this time of year, you can spray the leaves every week or every other week.

I spray my summer squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers with this every other week once the fruit starts coming on. Also, don't forget to fertilize the peppers and tomatoes with Epsom salts solution. Magnesium is another important nutrient that can be missing.

LMHmedchem

2ofus likes this.
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I save egg shells in a special can (old plastic coffee can) and grind them up with a little water just before I plant my tomatoes. A tablespoonful of the eggshells in the hole, then plant the tomato starts, and we haven't had blossom end rot problems for a couple of years.
    I know this doesn't help with your current problem, but you might want to start saving eggshells now for next season.

2ofus likes this.
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Try two TBSP epsom salts in a gallon of water ( or slightly less ) and spray the leaves of your tomato. It will not stop BER on those that have already formed, but will help prevent it on future tomatoes.