Help!!! I have dampening Off!

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by HerbGod15, Apr 27, 2011.

1. HerbGod15

HerbGod15 New Seed

I just went out to my greenhouse which is a small openable one and all off my peat pellets had gray hairs growing in them! This happens every time a I had a plant in there that I have no more seeds for it! It has been raining for three days. Can you help me? I can't make a fungicide nor do I have one or can buy one. Is there a way to get rid of it? It's raining but I took the trays out and put them under cover on a deck. Will that help? Please help me!

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mix one teaspoon of baking soda with one cup of water, shake well, put in a mist sprayer and spray your plants. This will prevent/take care of dampening off if it isn't too advanced. You can make a fungicide with simple every-day things from the kitchen.
    Next time, may I suggest that you use sterile potting mix, rather than the peat pots. I've been gardening for many years, and have never had any luck with peat pots.

carolyn and HerbGod15 like this.
  4. HerbGod15

HerbGod15 New Seed

Thanks! I really hope that it works. To start plants is it good to use potting soil and those decomposable pots?

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Many folks use potting soil, but I prefer sterile starting mix. It's sterile (duh!) and very fine, so the seeds and seedling roots don't have to fight larger bits like you find in potting soil.
    I don't use decomposable containers, but the six and nine-cell containers like you buy starts in. I find the plastic holds in moisture better, and being deeper, encourage deep rooting. Also I found a bunch of them in back of a nursery and asked if I could buy them--was given them for free. They can be washed and re-used. Some of mine are on their fourth or fifth year.

Advertisement
  6. HerbGod15

HerbGod15 New Seed

Thanks! I talked to someone at a gardening center and I bought 2 72 cell trays and a brick of coconut coir fiber which is sterile and supposed to expand. For my fungus problem I also bought a 3 way protectant insecticide/fungicide/miticide.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

For everyone reusing those cell pacs, DON'T FORGET to sterilize them and the flats with a 10% bleach solution. Sometimes you can introduce some very nasty organisms to your newly planted seeds.